The News That Matters about the Nuclear Industry Fukushima Chernobyl Mayak Three Mile Island Atomic Testing Radiation Isotope

Federal Class Action Lawsuit by US sailors exposed to Fukushima radiation

Fukushima Toll: US Sailors Who First Responded to Disaster Complain of Radiation Related Sicknesses, To File Federal Class Action Lawsuit , International Business Times By Esther Tanquintic-Misa | January 15, 2014 They were the very first who responded to the call for help when the Fukushima nuclear power plant got hit by a massive tsunami on March 2011. But never did the sailors aboard USS Ronald Reagan thought that they too would become victims of the world’s worst nuclear disaster since Chernobyl.

An alarming number of US Navy sailors have now started coming out to publicly air their grievances against what happened to their health as they conducted their jobs while in Japan waters three years ago.

Close to 100 U.S. sailors with ailments such as thyroid cancer, brain tumors and leukemia have filed a lawsuit against the Tokyo Electric Power Company. But its progress has been stalled because many more sailors want to join into the lawsuit, according to Bay area lawyer Charles Bonner.

Mr Bonner said they would need to wait until early February to refile the lawsuit accommodate a constant influx of sailors from the aircraft carrier USS Ronald Reagan and other American ships.

Petitions supporting the sailors have likewise started circulating online on a global scale at, MoveOn, Avaaz and Roots Action, among others.

The suit alleged TEPCO, operator of the crippled Fukushima, purposely withheld information of the release of the radioactive plume. Sailors could have stood a chance and the Ronald Reagan could have escaped the deadly cloud had TEPCO warned the upper authorities……..

The sailors claimed that on their first day at Fukushima, they got drenched in radioactive fallout. They noticed a cloud of warm air with a metallic taste poured over the Reagan.

They thought it was a snow storm. Responding U.S. Navy sailors disregarded it and continued working and helping and rescuing. Some worked 18-hour shifts in the open air throughout a four-day mission, re-fueling and repairing helicopters, loading them with vital supplies and much more. Some even jumped into the ocean just offshore to pull victims to safety.

Worse, all drank and bathed in waters that although had been desalinated, were surely greatly contaminated by radioactive fallout and runoff. When the warm cloud occurred, they even joked it’s a “radioactive snow” which ironically proved to be true. When the USS Ronald Reagan had left the Fukushima area, it was found to be so radioactive that ports in Japan, South Korea and Guam rejected its entry. It’s currently docked in San Diego.

To report problems or to leave feedback about this article, e-mail:

To contact the editor, e-mail:


January 16, 2014 - Posted by | Uncategorized

No comments yet.

Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in: Logo

You are commenting using your account. Log Out /  Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out /  Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out /  Change )

Connecting to %s

This site uses Akismet to reduce spam. Learn how your comment data is processed.

%d bloggers like this: