NUCLEAR. Articles on weapons and disarmament dominate the nuclear news this week.On Monday 29 August, an international conference entitled ‘Building a Nuclear Weapons Free World’ will take place in Astana, the capital of Kazakhstan. That day will also be the 25th anniversary of of the closure of the Semipalatinsk Nuclear Test Site – largest in the world, where 456 weapons tests happened, leaving a terrible legacy for the people.
UN Secretary-General Ban Ki-moon calls for eradication of nuclear weapons. The nuclear working group at the UN concluded its work in Geneva, and the majority of governments voted to recommended that the UN General Assembly set up a conference in 2017 to negotiate a new treaty prohibiting nuclear weapons, despite the Australian government’s best efforts to sabotage this. This is one of those times when I am ashamed to be Australian.
CLIMATE. A new study declares that human-caused climate change began at around 1830. (I’ve always thought that it was 1801, because of the 1801 painting Coalbrookdale by Night – attached). Research indicates that the difference between 1.5 C and 2C rise in global temperatures will be significant, and in only 20 years’ time. Huge volume of Greenland Ice Sheet lost each year, due to global warming. Again this year, Indonesia’s blanket of smoke is back. India floods: Over 300 dead, millions affected Louisiana National Guard Rescues 19,000 in Flood-Affected Areas.
UN Security Council warned on danger of nuclear drone terror attacks.
Global nuclear industry ponders ways to get taxpayers to pay up for Small Modular Nuclear Reactors (SMRs)
- America could take a practical first step towards nuclear disarmament. Stuck in the past – America’s nuclear weapons policy. USA’s National Nuclear Security Administration approves controversial B61-12 nuclear bomb.
- USA pushes India and Pakistan to join nuclear testy ban treaty.
- Groundwater infiltrates turbine building in Vermont Yankee nuclear station. Preparing for hurricane risk to Turkey Point nuclear reactor.
- US Border Patrol Spots EnergyFuels Uranium Mine Fire in Texas. Fire at Vogtle Nuclear Power Station on the Savannah River in Georgia, USA (23 Aug. 2016)? Three More Fires at the Savannah River Nuclear Site: August 16, 17, 18
- USA govt censoring severity of WIPP nuclear waste problem, $2 Billion Cleanup.
- 3.7 million documents now publicly available on Yucca nuclear waste dump plan.
UK. New report shows that Britain’s Hinkley Point C nuclear station is not essential. UK figuring out how to get out of the Hinkley nuclear power deal. Britain’s nuclear industry in turmoil over botched contracts. UK Nuclear Submarine HMS Ambush: Smashing Collision With Merchant Vessel.
- Anti-nuclear activists’ tents forcibly removed from economy ministry premises after years long battle .
- Halt Sendai nuclear reactors says Kagoshima Governor , following nearby earthquakes.
- 10,000 tons of toxic water pools in Fukushima nuclear plant trenches. Tokyo Electric Power Co.’s “frozen wall of earth” failing at Fukushima. Succession of earthquakes in the Sanriku Oki area (epicenter in the ocean off Fukushima).
- Tokyo 2020 Games prep beset with problems
SOUTH KOREA ‘s nuclear weapons advocates are now more vocal since North Korea’s missile test
TAIWAN‘s First Nuclear Decommissioning Project
SOUTH AFRICA nuclear electricity company non compliant with govt rules on advertising. Nuclear is not the cheapest source of electricity for South Africa. African countries are the least compliant in implementing global nuclear security safeguards.
FRANCE to launch 6 tenders for solar energy projects
GERMANY ‘s green power going strong, with more renewable energy than it ever had nuclear
BULGARIA Bulgaria seeks solution for costly blowout for Belene nuclear power plant
UKRAINE . Westinghouse puts on hold plans to build nuclear fuel plant in Ukraine
Climate change is an emergency – NOW . While some of us have for decades campaigned against the acute and chronic danger of nuclear weapons and nuclear power, I am having to admit that the climate change issue is urgent, in an even more powerful way. That’s because climate change has crept up on the world in an insidious way, so that now it is just about at the tipping point, just about irreversible.
One could argue that, short of a global catastrophe – a nuclear war, the world might still stop the nuclear horror “later on”. There is no “later on” for climate change.
We must fight both of these horrendous global threats.
Regions hit by world’s hottest month. Global warming brings worse wildfires – United Nations Office for Disaster Risk Reduction. Get used to extreme floods. Climate Change – a serious matter now – will threaten future Olympic Games!
Nuclear reactors, old or new designs, doomed without hefty tax-payer subsidies.
- The health impacts of wildfires in America’s West. Obama’s climate change accounting is upheld by federal appeals court.
- Nuclear war danger being ignored by USA Presidential candidates. President Reagan worked with Russia to defuse the nuclear arms race; time that President Obama did that, too.
- USA sends three strategic bombers to Pacific region, in unspoken threat to China.
- Report: U.S. Transfers Nukes From Turkish Airbase to Romania. Romania Denies Accepting US Nuclear Weapons.
- China General Nuclear Power Group (CGN) is accused of stealing US nuclear secrets.
- Secretive manouvres involve tax-payer funds for Bill Gates’ small nuclear reactors.
- Environmental groups in America take legal action against transport of nuclear wastes.
RUSSIA. International nuclear tensions: Russia builds ‘nuclear bomb proof’ underground bunkers.
JAPAN. Japan’s big ‘nuclear restart’ overtaken by conservation and renewables. Shikoku Electric fires up Ehime plant MOX reactor amid protests. Citizen groups organise for legal action to stop Japan’s nuclear restarts.
CANADA. Uranium Miner Cameco’s Tax Avoidance Cost Canada Over $2 Billion in Lost Revenue.
FRENCH POLYNESIA‘s Protestant church takes action against France over nuclear testing.
SOUTH AFRICA. Drone crash into Koeberg Nuclear Power Station.
CLIMATE. Sahara-Like Heat Marches North, Sparks Scores of Massive Wildfires Across Portugal. An epic Middle East heat wave could be global warming’s hellish curtain-raiser. Carteret climate refugees seek home. Climate scientists’ predictions on sea level rise. Rejection of expert knowledge – Clexit after Brexit. Power of social media: Di Caprio on climate change.
NUCLEAR Nagasaki Peace Declaration 2016.
English language media continues to examine the nuclear industry’s situation in Britain and USA, and this is surely a concern for the global nuclear industry. If it collapses in UK and USA – the outlook for nuclear’s global future is grim.
UK is in the most critical situation – a plethora of articles on this: EU Investigating Unfair French State Subsidies to the Nuclear Sector – Areva’s 4 Billion Euro Bailout by French Taxpayers. France’s ruling socialist party calls for freeze on Hinkley Point nuclear development. Theresa May is advised that now is the time to get out of Hinkley nuclear project. UK government’s own projections find solar and wind ‘cheaper than new nuclear’.
USA. Much unhappiness about New York’s subsidy bailout of the nuclear industry – eg. $700 million of public money goes to New York’s FitzPatrick nuclear deal. WHY?. New York will regret hasty decision to bail out upstate nuclear facilities. Subsidizing Nuclear Will Only Make Our Grid Problems Worse. New York “s Clean Energy standard drafted with an effort to avoid legal challenges about nuclear subsidy. New Jersey won’t be following New York’s example of subsidising the nuclear industry. U.S. electricity consumers could end up paying more than $2.5 billion for nuclear plants that never get built.
CHINA. Public opposition stops nuclear waste project, perhaps permanently.
6th August – Hiroshima Day. Rather lost in the Brazil Olympics hype, but not forgotten by the hibakusha and other survivors, and families of victims of the nuclear bombing, and of those others, world-wide, who care.
State of the Climate Report documents shattering of environmental records.
London. Prime Minister Theresa May suddenly threw a spanner in the works of the world’s largest nuclear power programme – Hinkley Point C – for Somerset, England. Just days before, France’s State-owned company EDF had given approval to build the project. The EDF decision was fraught, too, with unions opposing it, and senior managers urging delay. Everybody, including Tories, knows that the project is, economically, a white elephant. Why do the French and UK governments want to go on with it? Complicated politics, l’honneur, and like Macbeth – in too deep to get out?
There’s also, however, the “small nuclear” lobby, like an aggressive little chihuahua, snapping at the heels of Big Nuclear. They wouldn’t mind if Hinkley fizzled out – it would prove that their (still only on paper) Small Modular Nuclear Reactors (SMRs) and PRISMS, will fix British energy, climate change, and the global nuclear waste problem.
New York. The global nuclear industry is taking comfort from the latest decision in New York. The New York State Public Service Commission, backed by the Governor, approved a $7.6 billion bailout of aging nuclear power plants, including them in a “Clean Energy Standard”. It is hoped that this will kick off a nuclear revival.
UK – Lots about Hinkley
This Clean Energy Standard is a joke. Nuclear power masquerades as clean and green, when it is clear that nuclear power is neither. While the operating reactor produces minimal emissions, it is part of a highly carbon emitting chain of processes and transport . Uranium mining, milling, conversion, enrichment, fuel fabrication, reactor building, waste pool and canister building, reactor decommissioning, waste burial – all steps producing greenhouse gases.
Adoption of Clean Energy Standard Acknowledges Nuclear as Clean, Green Energy, Oswego County Today, Aug 4, 2016, In passing the Clean Energy Standard (CES), New York is now the groundbreaking world leader in recognizing nuclear power’s crucial role in our energy portfolio and in the protection of our environment
CLIMATE. Accuracy of climate modelling in predicting ocean and atmospheric warming. Hottest year on record – 2016 shaping up to be that. Climate Change, Drought Fan Massive Sand Fire, Forcing 20,000 Californians to Flee. USA’s African Methodist Episcopal church speaks out on climate change. Heatwave deaths linked to climate change. World’s climate endangered by Russia’s wildfires.
Record 11 year low for uranium price.
- Hillary Clinton and Donald Trump on nuclear weapons. Hillary Clinton selects pro nuclear advocate Tim Kaine as running mate.
- New York Times continues to ignore the renewable energy revolution, and talk up nuclear.
- USA’s aggressive military policies in Europe increase risk of nuclear annihilation.
- Nuclear industry to get a heft subsidy from New York residents.
- NASA to send nuclear powered spacecraft to Mars (hope it doesn’t crash).
- San Onofre nuclear waste stranded on the beach.
UK. EDF approved UK Hinkley nuclear project, but now there’s a new delay. Like Brexit, UK’s Hinkley nuclear plan is based on shaky politics, not on economic reality. UK proposal to offer subsidy contracts to Russia, China and South Korea to build nuclear power stations!
Future of UK’s Bradwell and Sizewell nuclear projects now in doubt as government to review Hinkley plan. Report questions value of new nuclear projects in Wales compared with renewables. Cost of Hitachi nuclear plant for North Wales is far too high.
TURKEY. B61 thermonuclear warheads in Turkey – a worry in the light of coup attempt.
JAPAN. Radioactive cesium stays for 3 years in bodies of Fukushima nuclear clean-up workers. TEPCO admits that ice wall will not stop groundwater from entering crippled Fukushima Daiichi reactor buildings. Japan Atomic Energy Agency again fails to do safety tests at Monju fast-breeder nuclear reactor. Citizen science takes on Japan’s nuclear establishment. Japan business lobby says Abe govt can’t rely on nuclear energy.
SOUTH AFRICA. South Africa’s nuclear company Eskom urging government to freeze renewable energy program.
UNITED ARAB EMIRATES. South Korea in charge of nuclear power system in United Arab Emirates.
POLAND‘s restrictive new law hampers wind energy development.
NORTH KOREA‘s nuclear weapons not able to reach Britain
Remarkable story of the week – The deadly secret of Russia’s secret nuclear radioactive city Ozersk, codenamed City 40
CLIMATE. Climate change threatens economies, as workers hampered by increasing heat. Montreal Protocol to be amended to phase out climate damaging hydrofluorocarbons. Global Heat Leaves 20th Century Temps ‘Far Behind’ —June Another Hottest Month on Record. If Amazon forest catches fire, world climate will be in even bigger trouble.
- Spain urgently wants explanation from Britain after nuclear submarine collision.
- Britain’s Parliament votes to renew Trident nuclear missile system. Scottish independence a sure thing, now that UK govt will renew Trident nuclear missile system? Anti Trident nuclear protests in 36 Scottish cities, towns and villages.
- Birmingham protest against the trucking of nuclear weapons through their city.
- UK’s House of Lords’ members, UK banks – financial interests in Trident nuclear programme.
- Teresa May’s backward step in abolishing Climate Change Department.
FRANCE. Several French trade unions want “out” of EDF’s Hinkley nuclear project
SOUTH KOREA. Thousands protest against planned deployment of USA anti-missile system
RUSSIA. The deadly secret of Russia’s secret nuclear radioactive city Ozersk, codenamed City 40
- Tokyo jolted by third quake in four days.
- Japan heading back to to fascism.
- Japan bribed towns at least $28.3 million per town to host dangerous nuclear facilities.
- Iodine jelly to be handed out to infants living within 30 km of nuclear plants.
- Fukushima. Radioactive “Glass”, Insoluble Cesium Particles Lodged in the Fukushima workers lungs. Greenpeace reports jump in radioactive contamination in Fukushima waterways. In first, Tepco admits ice wall can’t stopFukushima No. 1 groundwater.
IRAN. Iran and West both compliant on nuclear deal – but cautious
CLIMATE Record 9 hottest years in a row. Warning to Teresa May on climate threats to Brexit Britain. Democratic Senators naming and blaming the funders of climate science denial. USA media keeps the issue of climate change off the political agenda. Frivolous lawsuits aimed to attack climate scientists. Donald Trump’s real estate empire already suffering from climate change.
NUCLEAR. Things are crook, very crook, for the uranium industry.
UK. Chilcot says Britain shirking its responsibilty to help clean up radioactive destruction in Iraq. British Parliament to vote on renewing Trident nuclear missile system, as Brexit problems loom. Brexit uncertainty adding to anxiety of former supporters of UK’s Hinkley nuclear project. Renewal of Trident nuclear weapons system opposed by British Labour and Scottish National Party. Drigg Nuclear Waste Dump Menaced By Coastal Erosion: Foreign Companies Profit; UK Taxpayer Holds Liability. Britain’s nuclear submarines’ radioactive wastes will NOT be going to Scotland.
USA. Renewables beat nuclear on economics, as Wall Street now finds. “Indian Point” New Documentary Investigates Nuclear Power from New York to Fukushima. President Obama ready to make policy changes to reduce role of nuclear weapons. Republicans trying to roll back the Iran nuclear agreement. Workers on strike at Hanford Nuclear Reservation due to health concerns. Department of Energy not able to meet deadline on demolishing Hanford’s Plutonium Finishing Plant. Connecticut lawmaker seeks justice over “stranded nuclear waste“. Old nuclear waste from Manhattan Project contaminating Niagara County. “Outrageous and Reckless Endangerment of Public Health” Proposed by US EPA: Increased Radiation in Drinking Water after Nuclear Accident. Sodium cooled nuclear reactors are not necessarily safer. Ratepayer ripoff: $19 billion nuclear plant for Virginia. Generous subsidies proposed for Upstate New York nuclear plants.
JAPAN. Again, a Japanese court blocks restart of 2 nuclear reactors. Japan could change pacifist constitution after Shinzo Abe victory. Nuclear power opponent wins governor’s race in South West Japan.
POLAND halts nuclear power plans, looks to renewable energy.
IRAN. Forces in Iran trying to torpedo nuclear deal.
AUSTRALIA. South Australia’s financially risky nuclear waste import scheme.
World action effective against damage to ozone layer: our choices can help.
French Polynesia at UN presses case for compensation for nuclear tests.
Island states most at risk of global warming impact – Maldives want action.
UK. Brexit – the ‘coup de grace’ for Britain’s new nuclear? Brexit could result in Britain’s unilateral nuclear disarmament. Hinkley nuclear power plan, and the costs of its radioactive wastes. Senior EDF managers want Hinkley nuclear project to be postponed.
- An end to debating nuclear power: Diablo Canyon agreement wraps it up. A model for nuclear plant closure: Diablo Canyon co-operative plan. Nuclear Plant Closure will be a boon for marine life.
- Nuclear weapons risk could spread if SILEX laser uranium enrichment technology is adopted.
- Fake story from Wall Street Journal claiming environmentalists support nuclear power. Sierra Club remains categorically opposed to nuclear power.
- Mainstream media stays silent about about nuclear hazards, and rising cancer rates.
- Nuclear Information and Resource Service: marching for clean energy, remembering Michael Mariotte. Michael Mariotte: Counterweight to Nuclear Energy (1952 – 2016).
- South Carolina Gov Nikki Haley’s Plutonium Hypocrisy: Financial and Family Ties to Areva, Holtec, and More. South Carolina Electric and Gas wants more ratepayers’ money for building nuclear reactors.
- Pentagon’s nuclear-powered spending: a $trillion and climbing.
JAPAN. Nuclear watchdog finds 3 nuclear plants guilty of ‘malicious’ safety violations. Monju nuclear reprocessing fiasco Reuse of radioactive soil approved despite 170-year safety criteria estimate Melted fuel may be at the bottom of Fukushima No.2 reactor. Prefecture’s subsidies for residents near Fukushima No. 1 plant to run out next year. Japan’s anti-democratic secrecy law means no accountability in the nuclear industry. Business analysts do not share the optimism of Toshiba’s new CEO, on nuclear power. Fukushima plans point to a better energy source. Four new solar power plants in Fukushima.
INDIA. India stopped by China, from joining Nuclear Suppliers Group.
RENEWABLE ENERGY. International Energy Agency favours clean energy to cut air-pollution mortality. America’s future in renewables: nuclear can’t compete on costs nor on safety. Solar powered spacecraft to arrive on Jupiter on July 4. Route 66 – America’s first public solar road. Nestle’s new deal for powering its UK and Ireland operations with wind energy
CLIMATE. May Marks 8th Consecutive Record Hot Month in NASA’s Global Temperature Measure. Dozens of USA climate denial groups funded by biggest US coal company. Parts of Philippines May Submerge Due to Global Warming.
NUCLEAR. Nuclear disasters and “normalization” of contaminated areas
INDIA. Nuclear marketers see India as a saviour of nuclear industry.
- Orlando gunman a security guard, for a firm that guards US nuclear sites.
- Donald Trump’s strange nuclear negotiating ideas.
- Former NATO Commander calls for nuclear negotiations with Russia.
- US Congress only just failed to pass law to defund a new nuclear cruise missile program.
- Watts Bar-2 nuclear reactor – 43 years to build – shut down after 2 days.
- Fort Calhoun nuclear plant too expensive to run.
- Entergy’s Pilgrim Nuclear Power Station – decrepit facility with radioactive waste problem.
- USA’s Pro Nuclear Energy Secretary Moniz announces $82 Million for Nuclear Energy Research.
- U.S. Court of Appeals rules nuclear waste can stay on indigenous land.
JAPAN. Fukushima: 173 Children Thyroid Cancers in Fukushima Prefecture Another evacuation order lifted. Tepco chief likely banned use of ‘meltdown’ under government pressure: report. Tepco to inject cement instead of frozen water wall. Japan report on Chernobyl disaster’s health effects to be publicly released.
SOUTH KOREA‘s nuclear waste dilemma: will have to build waste dump
TAIWAN’s nuclear waste problem – sees overseas reprocessing as the answer.
KUWAIT. Kuwaitis (KIA) Want Out of French State Owned Nuclear Group Areva
- EPA PROPOSES SHOCKING THOUSAND-FOLD INCREASE IN RADIOACTIVITY ALLOWED IN DRINKING WATER.
- 6 USA nuclear stations to have guards with assault rifles.
- Donald Trump Can’t Be Trusted with America’s Nuclear Weapons Codes.
- Scientists, city leaders, local community warn against burial of nuclear waste near San Onofre State Beach.
- Rockland County Lawmakers Want Shutdown of Dangerous Indian Point Nuclear Station.
- “New Nuclear” lobbyists want changed regulations and more tax-payer funding.
- Exelon reactor closures show how the nuclear rot is really settling in for America. Exelon wants license to operate nuclear plant for 80 years.
- USA tries to bend the rules, so Toshiba-Westinghouse can sell nuclear reactors to India.
EUROPE. Heightened threat of a nuclear terror attack. Rising number of thyroid cancers beyond Ukraine, linked to Chernobyl nuclear disaster. Increasing illness among US sailors exposed to radiation near Fukushima.
FINLAND . Finland’s Fennovoima nuclear station dependent on Russia for all the finance
BIKINI ATOLL Alarmingly high levels of radiation remain
TAIWAN environmentalists take legal action against nuclear restart.
RUSSIA. Russia’s Rosatom keenly marketing nuclear power to Thailand, Vietnam, Indonesia, Malaysia, Cambodia, Myanmar and Laos. There’s heap of articles like this one. Russia is marketing its nukes everywhere!
Our only hope against nuclear pollution and annihilation – an informed citizenry.
Probability of a big nuclear accident within the next 10 years.
NUCLEAR MARKETING. Russia moving in on America as a market for its nuclear fuel. China, South Korea and Russia battle to win Kenya as nuclear customer. USA’s Westinghouse in rush to sell nuclear reactors to India. Russia and China working together to market nuclear reactors to the world. Russia flogging nuclear to Nigeria. And to Bolivia. China’s plans for marketing floating nuclear power plants (- but major risks, good terrorism targets)
- Trump is too dangerous and unstable to have the nuclear codes – says Hillary Clinton.
- “Just Mums” have become a powerful lobbying force for action on radioactive wastes.
- You think the oil industry’s in trouble? Try nuclear!. Up to 20 USA uneconomic nuclear stations soon to close. Nuclear stations more at risk than Regulators say.
- New York: opposition to subsidies for nuclear power stations.
- Seattle City Council calls for replacing nuclear power with renewable energy.
- Exelon’s 2 nuclear plants nearly dead, but not quite. Exelon gets employees to lobby for nuclear subsidies.
- Florida consumers still being slugged unfairly for Turkey Point delayed nuclear expansion.
- Michael Mariotte exposes pro nuclear “environmentalists” Hansen and Shellenberger. Sad loss of a man of integrity – Michael Mariotte.
SOUTH AFRICA. Let’s not forget the nuclear corruption in South Africa
NORTH KOREA Ballistic missile launch fails for the fourth time in recent months, South Korea says.
INDIA. Indian company exits nuclear project, switches to wind energy.
CHILE producing too much solar energy.
Decline of US nuclear industry is accelerating “…..Over the past few years, US companies have closed or announced plans to close eight reactors with a combined capacity of 6300 MW. Fertel claimed that another 15 to 20 plants are at risk of closure over the next 5 to 10 years. ……
Investigative journalism lives! This one is brilliant. NBC4 is revealing LA’s Nuclear Secret – investigative journalism spells it out
CLIMATE Drastic impact of climate change: NASA shows these effects. Climate change leading to mass migration crises if world does not act. Donald Trump will pull the US out of the UN global climate accord, push coal, oil. Canadian wildfires – huge release of carbon to the atmosphere. New Tar Sands Impact on Climate, Air Quality Found. ExxonMobil must be made accountable for their climate change deception.
Outcome of United Nations open-ended working group on nuclear disarmament.
Nuclear marketing propaganda abounds: USA desperately wants to market nuclear power to India, China – to Sudan, USA – to Vietnam, USA and Japan – to North Wales, UK , Russia- to Vietnam , Russia – to South East Asia, Russia– to Iran, Russia – to Africa
USA Despite Obama’s calls for nuclear disarmament, U.S. disarmament is slowest since 1980. Obama meets Hiroshima survivors, calls for a ‘Moral Revolution’ for nuclear disarmament. Hiroshima survivors tell of that day on 6th August 1945. The USA Pentagon’s budget labyrinth for a planned $1 trillion splurge.
- NBC4 is revealing LA’s Nuclear Secret – investigative journalism spells it out.
- USA using Westinghouse nuclear reactors and fuel to compete with Russia for European dominance.
- Illinois Attorney General slams nuclear bailout legislation. Exelon and its allies rally for a bailout of nuclear power, despite its known dangers.
- Change the word “renewable” to “clean” – Exelon’s plan to get taxpayer money for nuclear power.
- Nuclear energy has no place in New York State renewable energy plan.
- America’s NRC changing nuclear fee structure to help Small Nuclear reactors: Shillenberger delighted.
- Californians want to palm off their nuclear waste problem onto Texas.
- Former radioactive waste workers take legal action over their radiation caused illnesses.
- After 26 year battle for justice, Rocky Flats residents get some kind of deal from nuclear weapons plant operators.
- Death of long-term and highly respected anti nuclear activist Michael Mariotte.
CHINA readies nuclear armed submarines for the Pacific.
JAPAN. Japanese government to announce a shift away from nuclear power? Low-level nuclear waste to be buried 70 meters underground. Tokyo Accused of Cooking Fukushima Radiation Data. Fukushima clean-up chief still hunting for 600 tonnes of melted radioactive fuel.
SWEDEN heads for 100% renewable energy
IRAN. UN Agency Reports Iran Has Complied With Nuclear Deal.
UNITED ARAB EMIRATES setting a solar power trend in the Gulf.
CLIMATE CHANGE. NASA – World Just Had Seven Months Straight of Record-Shattering Global Heat. World Bank warns on the growing dangers of climate change. Climate change exacerbates wildfires – Canada’s tragedy. Women head UN climate change body/
Noam Chomsky on the twin threats: Climate Change and Nuclear Proliferation.
- True costs of nuclear-generated electricity hidden for decades.
- ‘Generation IV’ nuclear companies desperate for tax-payers’ money.
- USA House and Senate committees approve bills favouring “new nuclear” companies.
- America’s Nuclear Regulatory Commission set to exempt nuclear corporations from safety costs and liabilities.
- Former Prime Minister Koizumi backs U.S. sailors suing over Fukushima radiation.
- Fears that South Carolina is to become a nuclear waste import hub.
- Protestors demand shut-down of radiation leaky Florida Nuclear Station.
- Growing opposition in both Canada and USA to nuclear waste dumping near the Great Lakes.
FRANCE. Sparks flew at Electricite de France’s AGM: EDF has €37 billion of debt. EDF hoping to extend life of nuclear reactors, postpone decommisson costs. Credibility of nuclear corporation EDF taking a beating over Hinkley Nuclear project shemozzle. French prosecutors launch probe into Tokyo’s 2020 Olympic bid.
UK. How Margaret Thatcher’s nuclear dream has turned into UK’s Hinkley nightmare. Genetic damage in children of nuclear test veterans: an investigation begins. Former AREVA CEO ‘Atomic Anne’ Lauvergeon under a cloud at Rio Tinto. Greens Urge Ireland to Insist on Hinkley Nuclear Power Consultation Following UNESC Ruling.
JAPAN. Japanese cities say ‘no’ to nuke restart. Mayor blasts nuclear power to students visiting from Taiwan. FUKUSHIMA: No one knows where the Fukushima nuclear reactor melted cores are. Tepco to put some Fukushima decommissioning work on hold during G-7 summit. School to close in Fukushima as too few children able to attend.
CANADA. Indigenous residents of Yellowknif, Canada, send Terrestrial Energy nuclear salesmen packing.
CHINA. Chinese nuclear companies planning to carve up nuclear exports between each other.
ARMENIA. Nuclear danger in Armenia.
INDIA. to sell nuclear reactors to Bangladesh (But what if Bangladesh is under water before long?)
PAKISTAN wants to join the Nuclear Suppliers Group.
GERMANY Adolf Hitler’s secret NUCLEAR BOMBS found – claims engineer
100% renewable energy powers Portugal for four days. Revolutionary solar power: London Borough’s solar panels over marketplace. Berkely Lab finds that Solar Power brings Environmental and Public Health Benefits.
- 1 NUCLEAR ISSUES
- business and costs
- climate change
- indigenous issues
- marketing of nuclear
- opposition to nuclear
- politics international
- Religion and ethics
- secrets,lies and civil liberties
- weapons and war
- 2 WORLD
- MIDDLE EAST
- NORTH AMERICA
- SOUTH AMERICA
- Christina's notes
- Christina's themes
- global warming
- RARE EARTHS
- resources – print
- Resources -audiovicual
- World Nuclear