CLIMATE. Accuracy of climate modelling in predicting ocean and atmospheric warming. Hottest year on record – 2016 shaping up to be that. Climate Change, Drought Fan Massive Sand Fire, Forcing 20,000 Californians to Flee. USA’s African Methodist Episcopal church speaks out on climate change. Heatwave deaths linked to climate change. World’s climate endangered by Russia’s wildfires.
Record 11 year low for uranium price.
- Hillary Clinton and Donald Trump on nuclear weapons. Hillary Clinton selects pro nuclear advocate Tim Kaine as running mate.
- New York Times continues to ignore the renewable energy revolution, and talk up nuclear.
- USA’s aggressive military policies in Europe increase risk of nuclear annihilation.
- Nuclear industry to get a heft subsidy from New York residents.
- NASA to send nuclear powered spacecraft to Mars (hope it doesn’t crash).
- San Onofre nuclear waste stranded on the beach.
UK. EDF approved UK Hinkley nuclear project, but now there’s a new delay. Like Brexit, UK’s Hinkley nuclear plan is based on shaky politics, not on economic reality. UK proposal to offer subsidy contracts to Russia, China and South Korea to build nuclear power stations!
Future of UK’s Bradwell and Sizewell nuclear projects now in doubt as government to review Hinkley plan. Report questions value of new nuclear projects in Wales compared with renewables. Cost of Hitachi nuclear plant for North Wales is far too high.
TURKEY. B61 thermonuclear warheads in Turkey – a worry in the light of coup attempt.
JAPAN. Radioactive cesium stays for 3 years in bodies of Fukushima nuclear clean-up workers. TEPCO admits that ice wall will not stop groundwater from entering crippled Fukushima Daiichi reactor buildings. Japan Atomic Energy Agency again fails to do safety tests at Monju fast-breeder nuclear reactor. Citizen science takes on Japan’s nuclear establishment. Japan business lobby says Abe govt can’t rely on nuclear energy.
SOUTH AFRICA. South Africa’s nuclear company Eskom urging government to freeze renewable energy program.
UNITED ARAB EMIRATES. South Korea in charge of nuclear power system in United Arab Emirates.
POLAND‘s restrictive new law hampers wind energy development.
NORTH KOREA‘s nuclear weapons not able to reach Britain
Remarkable story of the week – The deadly secret of Russia’s secret nuclear radioactive city Ozersk, codenamed City 40
CLIMATE. Climate change threatens economies, as workers hampered by increasing heat. Montreal Protocol to be amended to phase out climate damaging hydrofluorocarbons. Global Heat Leaves 20th Century Temps ‘Far Behind’ —June Another Hottest Month on Record. If Amazon forest catches fire, world climate will be in even bigger trouble.
- Spain urgently wants explanation from Britain after nuclear submarine collision.
- Britain’s Parliament votes to renew Trident nuclear missile system. Scottish independence a sure thing, now that UK govt will renew Trident nuclear missile system? Anti Trident nuclear protests in 36 Scottish cities, towns and villages.
- Birmingham protest against the trucking of nuclear weapons through their city.
- UK’s House of Lords’ members, UK banks – financial interests in Trident nuclear programme.
- Teresa May’s backward step in abolishing Climate Change Department.
FRANCE. Several French trade unions want “out” of EDF’s Hinkley nuclear project
SOUTH KOREA. Thousands protest against planned deployment of USA anti-missile system
RUSSIA. The deadly secret of Russia’s secret nuclear radioactive city Ozersk, codenamed City 40
- Tokyo jolted by third quake in four days.
- Japan heading back to to fascism.
- Japan bribed towns at least $28.3 million per town to host dangerous nuclear facilities.
- Iodine jelly to be handed out to infants living within 30 km of nuclear plants.
- Fukushima. Radioactive “Glass”, Insoluble Cesium Particles Lodged in the Fukushima workers lungs. Greenpeace reports jump in radioactive contamination in Fukushima waterways. In first, Tepco admits ice wall can’t stopFukushima No. 1 groundwater.
IRAN. Iran and West both compliant on nuclear deal – but cautious
CLIMATE Record 9 hottest years in a row. Warning to Teresa May on climate threats to Brexit Britain. Democratic Senators naming and blaming the funders of climate science denial. USA media keeps the issue of climate change off the political agenda. Frivolous lawsuits aimed to attack climate scientists. Donald Trump’s real estate empire already suffering from climate change.
NUCLEAR. Things are crook, very crook, for the uranium industry.
UK. Chilcot says Britain shirking its responsibilty to help clean up radioactive destruction in Iraq. British Parliament to vote on renewing Trident nuclear missile system, as Brexit problems loom. Brexit uncertainty adding to anxiety of former supporters of UK’s Hinkley nuclear project. Renewal of Trident nuclear weapons system opposed by British Labour and Scottish National Party. Drigg Nuclear Waste Dump Menaced By Coastal Erosion: Foreign Companies Profit; UK Taxpayer Holds Liability. Britain’s nuclear submarines’ radioactive wastes will NOT be going to Scotland.
USA. Renewables beat nuclear on economics, as Wall Street now finds. “Indian Point” New Documentary Investigates Nuclear Power from New York to Fukushima. President Obama ready to make policy changes to reduce role of nuclear weapons. Republicans trying to roll back the Iran nuclear agreement. Workers on strike at Hanford Nuclear Reservation due to health concerns. Department of Energy not able to meet deadline on demolishing Hanford’s Plutonium Finishing Plant. Connecticut lawmaker seeks justice over “stranded nuclear waste“. Old nuclear waste from Manhattan Project contaminating Niagara County. “Outrageous and Reckless Endangerment of Public Health” Proposed by US EPA: Increased Radiation in Drinking Water after Nuclear Accident. Sodium cooled nuclear reactors are not necessarily safer. Ratepayer ripoff: $19 billion nuclear plant for Virginia. Generous subsidies proposed for Upstate New York nuclear plants.
JAPAN. Again, a Japanese court blocks restart of 2 nuclear reactors. Japan could change pacifist constitution after Shinzo Abe victory. Nuclear power opponent wins governor’s race in South West Japan.
POLAND halts nuclear power plans, looks to renewable energy.
IRAN. Forces in Iran trying to torpedo nuclear deal.
AUSTRALIA. South Australia’s financially risky nuclear waste import scheme.
World action effective against damage to ozone layer: our choices can help.
French Polynesia at UN presses case for compensation for nuclear tests.
Island states most at risk of global warming impact – Maldives want action.
UK. Brexit – the ‘coup de grace’ for Britain’s new nuclear? Brexit could result in Britain’s unilateral nuclear disarmament. Hinkley nuclear power plan, and the costs of its radioactive wastes. Senior EDF managers want Hinkley nuclear project to be postponed.
- An end to debating nuclear power: Diablo Canyon agreement wraps it up. A model for nuclear plant closure: Diablo Canyon co-operative plan. Nuclear Plant Closure will be a boon for marine life.
- Nuclear weapons risk could spread if SILEX laser uranium enrichment technology is adopted.
- Fake story from Wall Street Journal claiming environmentalists support nuclear power. Sierra Club remains categorically opposed to nuclear power.
- Mainstream media stays silent about about nuclear hazards, and rising cancer rates.
- Nuclear Information and Resource Service: marching for clean energy, remembering Michael Mariotte. Michael Mariotte: Counterweight to Nuclear Energy (1952 – 2016).
- South Carolina Gov Nikki Haley’s Plutonium Hypocrisy: Financial and Family Ties to Areva, Holtec, and More. South Carolina Electric and Gas wants more ratepayers’ money for building nuclear reactors.
- Pentagon’s nuclear-powered spending: a $trillion and climbing.
JAPAN. Nuclear watchdog finds 3 nuclear plants guilty of ‘malicious’ safety violations. Monju nuclear reprocessing fiasco Reuse of radioactive soil approved despite 170-year safety criteria estimate Melted fuel may be at the bottom of Fukushima No.2 reactor. Prefecture’s subsidies for residents near Fukushima No. 1 plant to run out next year. Japan’s anti-democratic secrecy law means no accountability in the nuclear industry. Business analysts do not share the optimism of Toshiba’s new CEO, on nuclear power. Fukushima plans point to a better energy source. Four new solar power plants in Fukushima.
INDIA. India stopped by China, from joining Nuclear Suppliers Group.
RENEWABLE ENERGY. International Energy Agency favours clean energy to cut air-pollution mortality. America’s future in renewables: nuclear can’t compete on costs nor on safety. Solar powered spacecraft to arrive on Jupiter on July 4. Route 66 – America’s first public solar road. Nestle’s new deal for powering its UK and Ireland operations with wind energy
CLIMATE. May Marks 8th Consecutive Record Hot Month in NASA’s Global Temperature Measure. Dozens of USA climate denial groups funded by biggest US coal company. Parts of Philippines May Submerge Due to Global Warming.
NUCLEAR. Nuclear disasters and “normalization” of contaminated areas
INDIA. Nuclear marketers see India as a saviour of nuclear industry.
- Orlando gunman a security guard, for a firm that guards US nuclear sites.
- Donald Trump’s strange nuclear negotiating ideas.
- Former NATO Commander calls for nuclear negotiations with Russia.
- US Congress only just failed to pass law to defund a new nuclear cruise missile program.
- Watts Bar-2 nuclear reactor – 43 years to build – shut down after 2 days.
- Fort Calhoun nuclear plant too expensive to run.
- Entergy’s Pilgrim Nuclear Power Station – decrepit facility with radioactive waste problem.
- USA’s Pro Nuclear Energy Secretary Moniz announces $82 Million for Nuclear Energy Research.
- U.S. Court of Appeals rules nuclear waste can stay on indigenous land.
JAPAN. Fukushima: 173 Children Thyroid Cancers in Fukushima Prefecture Another evacuation order lifted. Tepco chief likely banned use of ‘meltdown’ under government pressure: report. Tepco to inject cement instead of frozen water wall. Japan report on Chernobyl disaster’s health effects to be publicly released.
SOUTH KOREA‘s nuclear waste dilemma: will have to build waste dump
TAIWAN’s nuclear waste problem – sees overseas reprocessing as the answer.
KUWAIT. Kuwaitis (KIA) Want Out of French State Owned Nuclear Group Areva
- EPA PROPOSES SHOCKING THOUSAND-FOLD INCREASE IN RADIOACTIVITY ALLOWED IN DRINKING WATER.
- 6 USA nuclear stations to have guards with assault rifles.
- Donald Trump Can’t Be Trusted with America’s Nuclear Weapons Codes.
- Scientists, city leaders, local community warn against burial of nuclear waste near San Onofre State Beach.
- Rockland County Lawmakers Want Shutdown of Dangerous Indian Point Nuclear Station.
- “New Nuclear” lobbyists want changed regulations and more tax-payer funding.
- Exelon reactor closures show how the nuclear rot is really settling in for America. Exelon wants license to operate nuclear plant for 80 years.
- USA tries to bend the rules, so Toshiba-Westinghouse can sell nuclear reactors to India.
EUROPE. Heightened threat of a nuclear terror attack. Rising number of thyroid cancers beyond Ukraine, linked to Chernobyl nuclear disaster. Increasing illness among US sailors exposed to radiation near Fukushima.
FINLAND . Finland’s Fennovoima nuclear station dependent on Russia for all the finance
BIKINI ATOLL Alarmingly high levels of radiation remain
TAIWAN environmentalists take legal action against nuclear restart.
RUSSIA. Russia’s Rosatom keenly marketing nuclear power to Thailand, Vietnam, Indonesia, Malaysia, Cambodia, Myanmar and Laos. There’s heap of articles like this one. Russia is marketing its nukes everywhere!
Our only hope against nuclear pollution and annihilation – an informed citizenry.
Probability of a big nuclear accident within the next 10 years.
NUCLEAR MARKETING. Russia moving in on America as a market for its nuclear fuel. China, South Korea and Russia battle to win Kenya as nuclear customer. USA’s Westinghouse in rush to sell nuclear reactors to India. Russia and China working together to market nuclear reactors to the world. Russia flogging nuclear to Nigeria. And to Bolivia. China’s plans for marketing floating nuclear power plants (- but major risks, good terrorism targets)
- Trump is too dangerous and unstable to have the nuclear codes – says Hillary Clinton.
- “Just Mums” have become a powerful lobbying force for action on radioactive wastes.
- You think the oil industry’s in trouble? Try nuclear!. Up to 20 USA uneconomic nuclear stations soon to close. Nuclear stations more at risk than Regulators say.
- New York: opposition to subsidies for nuclear power stations.
- Seattle City Council calls for replacing nuclear power with renewable energy.
- Exelon’s 2 nuclear plants nearly dead, but not quite. Exelon gets employees to lobby for nuclear subsidies.
- Florida consumers still being slugged unfairly for Turkey Point delayed nuclear expansion.
- Michael Mariotte exposes pro nuclear “environmentalists” Hansen and Shellenberger. Sad loss of a man of integrity – Michael Mariotte.
SOUTH AFRICA. Let’s not forget the nuclear corruption in South Africa
NORTH KOREA Ballistic missile launch fails for the fourth time in recent months, South Korea says.
INDIA. Indian company exits nuclear project, switches to wind energy.
CHILE producing too much solar energy.
Decline of US nuclear industry is accelerating “…..Over the past few years, US companies have closed or announced plans to close eight reactors with a combined capacity of 6300 MW. Fertel claimed that another 15 to 20 plants are at risk of closure over the next 5 to 10 years. ……
Investigative journalism lives! This one is brilliant. NBC4 is revealing LA’s Nuclear Secret – investigative journalism spells it out
CLIMATE Drastic impact of climate change: NASA shows these effects. Climate change leading to mass migration crises if world does not act. Donald Trump will pull the US out of the UN global climate accord, push coal, oil. Canadian wildfires – huge release of carbon to the atmosphere. New Tar Sands Impact on Climate, Air Quality Found. ExxonMobil must be made accountable for their climate change deception.
Outcome of United Nations open-ended working group on nuclear disarmament.
Nuclear marketing propaganda abounds: USA desperately wants to market nuclear power to India, China – to Sudan, USA – to Vietnam, USA and Japan – to North Wales, UK , Russia- to Vietnam , Russia – to South East Asia, Russia– to Iran, Russia – to Africa
USA Despite Obama’s calls for nuclear disarmament, U.S. disarmament is slowest since 1980. Obama meets Hiroshima survivors, calls for a ‘Moral Revolution’ for nuclear disarmament. Hiroshima survivors tell of that day on 6th August 1945. The USA Pentagon’s budget labyrinth for a planned $1 trillion splurge.
- NBC4 is revealing LA’s Nuclear Secret – investigative journalism spells it out.
- USA using Westinghouse nuclear reactors and fuel to compete with Russia for European dominance.
- Illinois Attorney General slams nuclear bailout legislation. Exelon and its allies rally for a bailout of nuclear power, despite its known dangers.
- Change the word “renewable” to “clean” – Exelon’s plan to get taxpayer money for nuclear power.
- Nuclear energy has no place in New York State renewable energy plan.
- America’s NRC changing nuclear fee structure to help Small Nuclear reactors: Shillenberger delighted.
- Californians want to palm off their nuclear waste problem onto Texas.
- Former radioactive waste workers take legal action over their radiation caused illnesses.
- After 26 year battle for justice, Rocky Flats residents get some kind of deal from nuclear weapons plant operators.
- Death of long-term and highly respected anti nuclear activist Michael Mariotte.
CHINA readies nuclear armed submarines for the Pacific.
JAPAN. Japanese government to announce a shift away from nuclear power? Low-level nuclear waste to be buried 70 meters underground. Tokyo Accused of Cooking Fukushima Radiation Data. Fukushima clean-up chief still hunting for 600 tonnes of melted radioactive fuel.
SWEDEN heads for 100% renewable energy
IRAN. UN Agency Reports Iran Has Complied With Nuclear Deal.
UNITED ARAB EMIRATES setting a solar power trend in the Gulf.
CLIMATE CHANGE. NASA – World Just Had Seven Months Straight of Record-Shattering Global Heat. World Bank warns on the growing dangers of climate change. Climate change exacerbates wildfires – Canada’s tragedy. Women head UN climate change body/
Noam Chomsky on the twin threats: Climate Change and Nuclear Proliferation.
- True costs of nuclear-generated electricity hidden for decades.
- ‘Generation IV’ nuclear companies desperate for tax-payers’ money.
- USA House and Senate committees approve bills favouring “new nuclear” companies.
- America’s Nuclear Regulatory Commission set to exempt nuclear corporations from safety costs and liabilities.
- Former Prime Minister Koizumi backs U.S. sailors suing over Fukushima radiation.
- Fears that South Carolina is to become a nuclear waste import hub.
- Protestors demand shut-down of radiation leaky Florida Nuclear Station.
- Growing opposition in both Canada and USA to nuclear waste dumping near the Great Lakes.
FRANCE. Sparks flew at Electricite de France’s AGM: EDF has €37 billion of debt. EDF hoping to extend life of nuclear reactors, postpone decommisson costs. Credibility of nuclear corporation EDF taking a beating over Hinkley Nuclear project shemozzle. French prosecutors launch probe into Tokyo’s 2020 Olympic bid.
UK. How Margaret Thatcher’s nuclear dream has turned into UK’s Hinkley nightmare. Genetic damage in children of nuclear test veterans: an investigation begins. Former AREVA CEO ‘Atomic Anne’ Lauvergeon under a cloud at Rio Tinto. Greens Urge Ireland to Insist on Hinkley Nuclear Power Consultation Following UNESC Ruling.
JAPAN. Japanese cities say ‘no’ to nuke restart. Mayor blasts nuclear power to students visiting from Taiwan. FUKUSHIMA: No one knows where the Fukushima nuclear reactor melted cores are. Tepco to put some Fukushima decommissioning work on hold during G-7 summit. School to close in Fukushima as too few children able to attend.
CANADA. Indigenous residents of Yellowknif, Canada, send Terrestrial Energy nuclear salesmen packing.
CHINA. Chinese nuclear companies planning to carve up nuclear exports between each other.
ARMENIA. Nuclear danger in Armenia.
INDIA. to sell nuclear reactors to Bangladesh (But what if Bangladesh is under water before long?)
PAKISTAN wants to join the Nuclear Suppliers Group.
GERMANY Adolf Hitler’s secret NUCLEAR BOMBS found – claims engineer
100% renewable energy powers Portugal for four days. Revolutionary solar power: London Borough’s solar panels over marketplace. Berkely Lab finds that Solar Power brings Environmental and Public Health Benefits.
Significant comprehensive story of the week – Koch brothers and power utilities connive to stop solar power.
CLIMATE. Still possible to avert global climate change disaster – UN climate chief. Canada’s wildfire horror – Climate Change is part of the cause. Canadian wildfire approaches oil sands project. Koch brothers and power utilities connive to stop solar power. Exxon fighting to the death with its fraudulent claims about climate change.
Even the nuclear industry knows that it’s in a desperate fight for survival.
Convention on the Physical Protection of Nuclear Material strengthens nuclear security.
- President Obama visits Hiroshima, as USA builds up its nuclear arsenal. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UJBtq0jq43c.
- USA’s missile defense site in Romania provokes Russian anger.
- US lawmakers concerned about possible drone attacks on nuclear facilities.
- The 1964 nuclear bomb exploded in South Mississippi – and its effects.
- Unfolding nuclear waste disasters in America.
- Government -run Tennessee Valley Authority (TVA) to sell Alabama Nuclear Complex at a big loss.
- Fort Calhoun nuclear plant no longer makes financial sense – CEO.
RUSSIA. Russia’s new more powerful nuclear missiles
UK. Britain failed to consult Europe over Hinkley nuclear safety dangers – UN. UN Finds the UK in Violation of Transboundary Environmental Impact Convention for Hinkley Point Nuclear Power station; Europe at Risk. £21bn the likely cost of ever more expensive Hinkley Point nuclear power.
FRANCE. Nuclear corporation EDF’s Annual General Meeting faces more financial gloom.
JAPAN. 40-year-old Shikoku reactor to be sixth unit scrapped under stricter safety regimen.
ISRAEL. Nuclear Whistleblower Mordechai Vanunu – indicted yet again!
CLIMATE CHANGE disruption – the future is happening now. Destructive Wildfire near Canada’s Oil Sands May Have Been Fueled by Global Warming. Climate change is taking its toll on water supplies, and especially – on children. Month after month, global average temperatures reach record heights. Ocean’s small shelled animals suffering from acidification due to global warming.
Leaked TTIP documents cast doubt on EU-US trade deal.
- Exelon nuclear corporation demands tax-payer bailout for its uneconomic power plants.
- Continuing nuclear waste leak at Hanford.
- Nuclear Regulatory Commission to re-analyse costs of potential impact of severe accident At Indian Point.
- Documents reveal poor performance of Mixed Oxide Fuel Fabrication Facility (MOX).
- Respiratory diseases, radioactive fumes – concerns in St Louis County, USA.
- Radiation from Santa Susana Field Laboratory in California causing cancers, but this is hushed up.
- Parents near nuclear plant concerned about evacuation plans.
- Sanders and Clinton split on future of Indian Point nuclear station.
- USA’s Energy Dept program ‘Orange Button’ will bring down costs of solar power.
UK. Global danger in transporting nuclear wastes by plane.
CANADA. Cameco cuts back on mining uranium, as market stays slumped.
Former Electricite de France SA Chief Financial Officer says he quit because of financial risks of Hinkley nuclear project. UK nuclear parts made at French plant in fakery probe. ‘400 irregularities’ in nuclear power plant parts – admits France’s nuclear firm AREVA.
OCEANIA. Nuclear shipwreck still highly radioactive over 60 years later.
JAPAN. Fukushima and the Right NOT to Return: Nuclear Displacement in a System for “Hometown Recovery”
NORTH KOREA. North Korea’s nuclear program.
Late news flashes:
- Australia’s submarine purchase from France in cahoots with nuclear lobby‘s plan for expansion of nuclear industry, Australia as world’s nuclear trash dump, to be announced on May 6 by the sham South Australia Nuclear Fuel Chain Royal Commission.
- The seller, France’s corporation Direction des Constructions et Armes Navales (DCNS) is notorious for corruption.
Most impressive news item of the week – Central bankers, financial facts, bringing an end to the nuclear power era?
The next nuclear disaster will probably be an intentional one.
Concern over influence on World Health Organisationby outside agencies, with financial support
UKRAINE. Ukraine’s nuclear industry remains a time bomb. The real menace of the Chernobyl nuclear situation. Mikhail Gorbachev: 30 years after Chernobyl, time to phase out nuclear power. Covering shattered Chernobyl nuclear reactor – a financial problem for Ukraine. Over 2 million people receiving benefits due to radiation effects of Chernobyl nuclear disaster.
At Chernobyl and Fukushima, radioactivity hasseriously harmed wildlife. Thyroid Cancer in Fukushima Children: When the Language and Information Gaps Mislead. Indoor playgrounds help Fukushima families to deal with their very real fear of radiation.
JAPAN. Series of earthquakes is delaying Japan’s ‘nuclear revival’. Toshiba to lose 260 billion yen due tolosses over Westinghouse nuclear power subsidiary. Fukushima plant’s new ice wall not watertight.
- A second double-shell tank leaking radiation at Hanford?
- Idaho in danger from nuclear waste, and must be protected.
- California State Senate demands removal of stored nuclear waste from San Onofre power plant.
- US Senate Efforts to Do Away with Mandatory Licensing Hearings for So-Called Advanced Nuclear Reactors-Small Modular Reactors. US Senate Bill 2795 on Deregulation of the Nuclear Industry.
UK and FRANCE. So-called “charity” nuclear front, Alvin Weinberg Foundation, group lobbies UK govt to fund Small Nuclear Reactors. Westinghouse keen to fleece UK tax-payers with Small Modular Nuclear Reactors.
France’s government says decision on Hinkley nuclear plant is again delayed. European law means it is illegal for France’s govt to fund EDF’s British Hinkley nuclear project. France’s tax-payers give €3bn to save debt-ridden nuclear corporation EDF.
GERMANY’s compromise plan to make power companies pay for nuclear waste disposal. Germany wrestles with the dilemma of disposing of dead nuclear reactors and their toxic wastes. Computer viruses have infected German nuclear power station.
BELGIUM Most of Belgium’s population to be given potassium iodide pills.
SWEDEN Vattenhall nuclear corporation in financial trouble, opposes nuclear risk premium, seeks to abolish Swedish tax.
CLIMATE. USA Republicans – half of them accept the science of climate change. Austria losing to climate change its most precious environmental resource – glaciers. Climate Feedback helps climate scientists toevaluate media stories.
RENEWABLE ENERGY A solar-powered flight across the Pacific – the Solar Impulse 2 arrives in California. USA Republicans now liking renewable energy – for financial, not climate, reasons. USA wind energy investment – over $128 Billion. Denmark’s solar energy growth – way ahead of schedule.
A year ago, the nuclear lobby managed to get a spurious Nuclear Royal Commission going in Australia. Stacked with pro nuclear enthusiasts, this Commission spent a heap of tax-payer money touring global nuclear companies. They especially spent time in France.
On May 6th, the Commission will announce its findings, (already decided upon at the beginning). This will be that the State of South Australia should set up the full nuclear fuel chain, but starting with importing the world’s radioactive trash, (In Australia, hardly anyone knows about this, as it has been kept as a matter for just one State, and not publicised nationally.
NOW, by a ?strange coincidence, Australia has decided to buy, at huge expense, nuclear submarines from France. They will be fuelled by diesel, not nuclear, – but the switch to nuclear can be made later, when Australia’s inconvenient anti nuclear laws have been overturned.
Just when the UK has got itself locked into a very dubious nuclear deal with France, Australia is about to do an even worse one.
CLIMATE. Paris climate negotiations ahead of schedule. World powers worried at effects of climate change, drought, causing conflicts. UN study of cap at 1.5 degrees Celsius – it may not be feasible. Hillary Clinton unsuited to task of confronting climate change, too enmeshed in corporate thinking. New campaign ‘Two Degrees of Change’ urges female executives to demand action on climate change. Rapid collapse of ice shelves in Antarctica. Sea level rise has been underestimated – new ice studies suggest. Warm, Southerly Winds Gust to Hurricane Force Over Greenland in Staggering Early Season Heatwave — Temperatures Now Hitting up to 41 Degrees (F) Above Average at Summit
Widespread support for Church of England’s stand against Exxon Mobil. Religious groups urge US lawmakers to approve funding for Green Climate Fund (GCF). Climate Change Threatening Mt Everest. Climate change affecting India: Severe Drought, Water Shortages In Australia, and everywhere else, oil and gas lobbies pay shills to obstruct action on climate change. Big Oil spends up Big to thwart climate change action.
RENEWABLE ENERGY. Global renewable energy boom, with Asia Pacific at the heart of it.
EDF in America going for wind power, abandoning nuclear. Wind power in America in a big way, and transmission grid development. Wind power – the big buy-up by big companies. Jobs boom in USA States with wind power development. India: Gujarat’s government increases solar energy incentives, with rooftop subsidy.
WORLD. Russian naval officer who saved the world from nuclear war.
Statistical analysis indicates that we can expect more severe nuclear accidents. Nuclear industry up to their old tricks, spruiking “new nuclear“. $Billions being spent on research for Small Modular Nuclear Reactors, that are unlikely to be viable. Allison MacFarlane on nuclear safety.
JAPAN. Just 74 miles from Sendai nuclear station, strong earthquake hits Japan. Under the radar. Japan’s nuclear development pushed along by USA think tank, a nuclear front– Center for Strategic and International Studies (CSIS). Bribery allegations result in resignation of Japanese economy minister Akira Amari. The TPP was negotiated in secret, and now one of the chief negotiators is accused of taking bribes.
Fukushima – the irradiation of a nation. Fukushima’s evacuees have radiation-caused illnesses, but this is covered up in Japan. Braving danger and radiation for chance to earn 11,000 yen a day. Cheated every step of the way: a raw deal from subcontractors. Radioactive wild boars rampaging around Fukushima nuclear site.
EUROPE.German nuclear centre a target for Paris terrorist?. According to German intelligence, terrorist Salah Abdeslam did not have German nuclear files. In Europe, nuclear industry needs EUR 450 billion to survive. Luxembourg would pay France to shut down all too near nuclear power station. Dangerous state of aging nuclear reactors in Ukraine.
- Hillary Clinton calls Donald Trump “reckless” on nuclear policy.
- Waste Isolation Pilot Plant (WIPP) still not open, and USA’s toxic nuclear waste mounts. Expanded nuclear waste role for USA’s Waste Isolation Pilot Plant. USA Energy Dept moving away from dangerous MOX nuclear fuel plan.
- Plymouth needs an unbiased Nuclear Committee to advise on decommissioning Pilgrim Nuclear Power Station. Pilgrim nuclear power plant not to close until 2019.
- Holtec nuclear waste company gets special safety exemptions!
- American nuclear engineer arrested for allegedly secretly helping China’s nuclear program.
UK vulnerable to cyberattack if planned nuclear deal with China goes ahead.
IRAQ. Radiation effects of depleted uranium continue to bring disease and death in Iraq.
- 1 NUCLEAR ISSUES
- business and costs
- climate change
- indigenous issues
- marketing of nuclear
- opposition to nuclear
- politics international
- Religion and ethics
- secrets,lies and civil liberties
- weapons and war
- 2 WORLD
- MIDDLE EAST
- NORTH AMERICA
- SOUTH AMERICA
- Christina's notes
- Christina's themes
- global warming
- RARE EARTHS
- resources – print
- Resources -audiovicual
- World Nuclear