nuclear-news

The News That Matters about the Nuclear Industry Fukushima Chernobyl Mayak Three Mile Island Atomic Testing Radiation Isotope

Strange Bedfellows: TEPCO & Lady Barbara Judge

ichicax4

Published on 6 Mar 2013

Info taken from the following articles: http://www.morningstaronline.co.uk/ne…

http://enenews.com/cnn-american-fukus…

http://www.standard.co.uk/news/judge-…

http://trends.knack.be/economie/nieuw…

http://www.nytimes.com/1990/01/01/bus…

and last but not least, and graphic lol:
http://www.glossynews.com/artman/publ…

TEPCO Hires UK Propaganda Chief

“…To be sure, the nuclear issue still divides opinion sharply. Judge admits that a repeat of the Chernobyl disaster would close the industry down for 20 years…”  22 July 2009  –Barbara Judge

Published on Feb 11, 2013

https://nuclear-news.net/2013/02/18/tepco-hires-uk-propaganda-chief/

More on UK BBC and nuclear science coverups on this link

https://nuclear-news.net/2013/03/01/who-small-cancer-risk-after-fukushima-accident-says-british-university-proffesors/

Advertisements

March 7, 2013 Posted by | Uncategorized | Leave a comment

Fukushima’s Nuclear Casualties – Two Years Later, the Battle for Truth Continues

by JOSEPH J. MANGANO

March 07, 2013

Exactly two years after the Fukushima nuclear disaster, perhaps the most crucial issue to be addressed is how many people were harmed by radioactive emissions.

The full tally won’t be known for years, after many scientific studies.  But some have rushed to judgment, proclaiming exposures were so small that there will be virtually no harm from Fukushima fallout.

This knee-jerk reaction after a meltdown is nothing new.  Nearly 12 years after the Three Mile Island accident in 1979, there were no journal articles examining changes in local cancer rates.  But 31 articles in publications like the Journal of Trauma and Stress and Psychosomatic Medicine had already explored psychological consequences.

Eventually, the first articles on cancer cases showed that in the five years after the accident, there was a whopping 64% increase in the cancer cases within 10 miles of Three Mile Island.  But the writers, from Columbia University, concluded radiation could not account for this rise, suggesting stress be considered instead.  While this was later contested by researchers from the University of North Carolina, many officials still subscribe to the slogan “nobody died at Three Mile Island.”

In 1986, after the Chernobyl catastrophe, officials in the Soviet Union and elsewhere raced to play damage control.  The Soviet government admitted 31 rescue workers had died soon after absorbing huge radiation doses extinguishing the fire and trying to bury the red-hot reactor.  For years, 31 was often cited as the “total” deaths from Chernobyl.  Journal articles on disease and death rates near Chernobyl were slow and limited.  The first articles were on rising numbers of local children with thyroid cancer – a very rare condition.

Finally, 20 years after the meltdown, a conference of the World Health Organization, International Atomic Energy Agency, and other groups admitted to 9,000 cancers worldwide from Chernobyl.  But this was a tiny fraction of what others were finding.  A 2009 New York Academy of Sciences book estimated 985,000 deaths (and rising) worldwide fromChernobyl fallout.  The team, led by Alexey Yablokov, examined 5,000 articles and reports, most in Slavic language never before available to researchers.

Continue reading

March 7, 2013 Posted by | Uncategorized | 2 Comments

Accident at Hinkley Point nuclear plant could contaminate Austria, warns government agency

The Umweltbundesamt says that a release of 53.18 petabecquerels of caesium-137 from Hinkley “would result in a considerable contamination of the Austrian territory.” In most places the contamination would be above the safety levels requiring restrictions to be imposed on farmers.

 

07 March 2013

Austria could be badly contaminated by radioactive pollution from a serious accident at the new nuclear power station proposed for Hinkley Point in Someset, the country’s environment agency has warned.

The Austrian government’s Umweltbundesamt has lodged a formal objection to the application to build the station by the French power company, EDF Energy. The dangers of a worst-case accident should be assessed before the plant is given the go-ahead, it says.

The Vienna agency’s 39-page submission concludes that the environmental impact assessment of the proposed Hinkley reactors “does not permit a meaningful assessment of the effects of conceivable accidents”. EDF’s claim that the risk of a large release of radioactivity has been practically eliminated “is not sufficiently demonstrated”, it says.

Severe accidents leading to massive releases of caesium-137 similar to that from the explosion at the Chernobyl nuclear plant in 1986 “cannot be excluded”, the agency warns. Though they are unlikely, they should have been included in EDF’s assessment “since their effects can be widespread and long-lasting.”

The Umweltbundesamt says that a release of 53.18 petabecquerels of caesium-137 from Hinkley “would result in a considerable contamination of the Austrian territory.” In most places the contamination would be above the safety levels requiring restrictions to be imposed on farmers.

“It is recommended that this should be taken into consideration before granting further permissions,” it says. “Austria should be kept informed regarding the ongoing progress resolving the assessment findings concerning severe accidents.”

http://www.robedwards.com/2013/03/accident-at-hinkley-point-nuclear-plant-could-contaminate-austria-warns-government-agency.html

March 7, 2013 Posted by | Uncategorized | Leave a comment

‘Nuclear refugees’ visit their home near stricken Fukushima plant – NBC

Wearing white protective masks and suits, Yuzo Mihara, left, and his wife Yuko pose for photographs on a deserted street in the town of Namie, Fukushima prefecture, Japan, on Feb. 22, 2013.

NBC News photoblog

7 March 2013

Until two years ago, Yuzo Mihara and his wife Yuko lived quietly in the Japanese town of Namie. Yuzo ran a store and Yuko a beauty salon. But their lives were upended on March 11, 2011, when an earthquake and tsunami crippled the nearby Fukushima Daiichi nuclear power plant. 

Yuzo and Yuko are now among over 100,000 Japanese ‘nuclear refugees’, having had to abandon their home when the town was evacuated due to the nuclear alert.

European PressPhoto Agency photographer Franck Robichon followed the couple as they made a brief visit to their old home last month. They were able to collect a few belongings and clean the house, which had been invaded by mice.

Yuko Mihara offers prayers to her ancestors in front of a family Buddhist altar inside her house.

Located within the 20-kilometer exclusion zone, Namie saw its coastal area wiped out by the tsunami and its inland zone contaminated by radiation. Most of the town’s 21,000 former residents still hope to make a permanent move back in the future, but for now they are only allowed to return for a few hours to minimize their exposure to radiation.

Wearing white protective masks and suits, former Namie residents have to drive through Okuma and Futaba, towns where the radiation levels are so high that a future return is inconceivable. 

Most of the former residents of the exclusion zone are still waiting for proper compensation to be negotiated with the government and TEPCO, the operator of the Fukushima plant. Two years have passed since the disaster and frustration is gaining ground in the community. Cloistered in cramped temporary accommodation, the evacuees face an uncertain future. The stigma of being seen as ‘assisted persons’ by the wider community only adds to their despair.

Yuzo Mihara looks at a collapsed house in his neighbourhood

More pictures by Franck Robichon on this link

http://photoblog.nbcnews.com/_news/2013/03/07/17210527-nuclear-refugees-visit-their-home-near-stricken-fukushima-plant

March 7, 2013 Posted by | Uncategorized | Leave a comment

JANUK London “for a nuclear-free world” demonstrations for the 9th, 10th and 11th March 2013

 
Saturday 9 March: Solidarity March & Rally in London
Monday 11 March: Candlelit Vigil & Public Meeting in London
URL: http://www.fukushima2013.com/
(Scroll down for Japanese/日本語呼びかけは英語の下)

Join us to march in London, to mark the 2nd anniversary of the ongoing Fukushima disaster, in international solidarity with people in Japan and for a nuclear-free world.

We, Japanese expats and UK citizens, are speaking with one voice as world citizens. We want all the governments to abolish nuclear power generation, to prevent the further release and spread of radioactive materials, to implement policies to protect people’s health and lives and to uphold citizens’ rights to engage in social activities and free speech.

We are deeply concerned that radioactive contamination from the nuclear catastrophe at the Fukushima Daiichi Nuclear Power Plant that started on March 11 2011, has been spreading across Japan.

The nuclear tragedies in Chernobyl and Fukushima have taught us that despite the guise of ‘peaceful use’, the destruction caused by a nuclear power disaster would be similar to nuclear war. Japan is the most earthquake prone country in the world and, currently, is in a very active seismic phase.

Nuclear catastrophe in Japan would lead to long-term worldwide radioactive contamination. There is no safe method to dispose of nuclear waste. Using nuclear power means passing a burden to our children and their descendants. In addition, throughout the nuclear fuel cycle from uranium mining to decommission and waste storage, nuclear energy relies heavily on the sacrifice of workers who are exposed to radiation as they carry out these tasks. Given the deadly long-term toxicity of radiation released to the environment through use of nuclear energy, it must be said that nuclear power is both extremely dangerous and irresponsible. Nuclear power is not welcome in Japan, in the UK, and anywhere in the world.

Japanese Against Nuclear, Kick nuclear and CND are calling all the people in the UK to join the march, vigil, and the public meeting explained below:

** Saturday 9 March: SOLIDARITY MARCH
Assemble 12 noon at Hyde Park Corner for solidarity March to Parliament
with rally there, in Palace Yard, at 2.30pm

** Monday 11 March: Candle-lit Vigil
5.30 – 6.30PM, outside Japanese Embassy
(101 Piccadilly, London, W1J 7JT)
(nearest tube: Green Park)

** Monday 11 March: Public Meeting
7.30 – 9.30PM, in the House of Commons

Organized by:Japanese Against Nuclear UK (JAN UK), Kick Nuclear, and CND

Fukushima2013 draft resources as of now
* Web draft: http://www.fukushima2013.com/
* Facebook draft: https://www.facebook.com/events/463099933756995
* Poster draft: https://www.dropbox.com/s/isz2m6flx5j4kyi/Monday21.jpg
* Leaflet draft: https://www.dropbox.com/s/p5wjhpdh5hyomot/LeafletDraft.doc

——————————–
3月9日 福島連帯デモ & デモ後の集会 Londonで
3月11日 光のチェーン & 英国会内集会 Londonで
詳細(日本語):http://januk.org/event/advert.html
詳細(英語):http://www.fukushima2013.com/

フクシマを知るわたしたちだからこそ、原発の恐ろしさ、原発政策の誤ちを世界に伝えたい

あの日から二年。

時間と距離の遠さは忘却を誘います。忘れたいほど恐ろしい出来事が起こってしまったのです。
でも本当は知っています‐フクシマはまだ終わっていないこと。

3月9日(土)、福島原発事故2周年にあたり、日本の現状を伝え、脱原発の必要性を解き、全世界の原発を止めるため、日本大使館と国会議事堂を結ぶ中心エリアで大掛かりなデモを計画しています。又、震災2周年目にあたる11日(月)夕刻には祈祷のキャンドルサービスを行う予定です。

わたしたちJapanese Against Nuclear UKは、毎週金曜日、日本大使館前と東電ロンドンオフィス前で抗議行動を続けてきました。また、親睦会・学習会を開催したり、英国の環境問題を訴える市民団体や反核・反原発の団体と交流したり、意見交換を行ってきました。

今回のロンドンでの二周年記念イベントは、日本をはじめ、欧州各地で行われるさまざまな脱原発行事と連帯し、フクシマの被害は継続中であることを思い出させ、世界に向けて反原発・脱原発を訴えるための行動です。

日本では昨年末に政権が変わって、「原発ゼロ」の動きが危うくなっています。
ここ英国でも、八基もの原発が建てられようとしています。
フクシマを知るわたしたちだからこそ、警告する力を持っているはずです。
あなたも、わたしたちといっしょに、立ち上がって声をあげましょう。

** 3月9日(土)福島連帯デモ
集合時間:午後12時
集合場所:ハイドパーク・コーナー
日本大使館、東京電力オフィス等を通って国会へ向け行進。デモ終了後、2時半から国会近隣 Palace Yard にて、さまざまな有識者や関連者によるスピーチ(予定)

** 3月11日(月)キャンドルライトによる光のチェーン
時間:17:30-18:30
場所:日本大使館前 (101 Piccadilly, London, W1J 7JT)(最寄Tube: Green Park)

** 3月11日(月)英国会内集会
時間:19:30-21:30
場所:国会議事堂内 委員会室(予定)

主催:在英邦人団体 Japanese Against Nuclear UK (JAN UK), 英反原発団体 Kick Nuclear, 英反核団体 CND

福島ロンドン行動2013 詳細は以下参照
(準備中の関連資料)
* Web draft: http://www.fukushima2013.com/
* Facebook draft: https://www.facebook.com/events/463099933756995
* Poster draft: https://www.dropbox.com/s/isz2m6flx5j4kyi/Monday21.jpg
* Leaflet draft: https://www.dropbox.com/s/p5wjhpdh5hyomot/LeafletDraft.doc

March 7, 2013 Posted by | Uncategorized | Leave a comment

Nuclear victim plaintiffs demand a criminal investigation by Tokyo Prosecutors Office

WorldNetworkChildren

Published on 7 Mar 2013

The nuclear and earthquake disaster two years ago exposed the people of Fukushima and the entire country to radiation. Because of this, we became the plaintiffs of this trial on professional negligence and three others charges, filed with Fukushima public prosecutors office last year.

World Network has just made a leaflet for the coming events on March 9, 10 and 11 all over the world. The leaflet contains a brief description of the Fukushima Nuclear Disaster as well as the infroduction of the civil groups fighting to protect children from the threat of radiation: Fukushima Network for Saving Children from Radiation, the Fukushima Collective Evacuation Trial Team and World Network. The leaflet is free to download from the attached file below. Please do use and distribute this material at your event, gatherings and demo for a good cause.   

 

Satoko Tsunematsu

World Network for Saving Children from Radiation

World Network Leaflet
3.11 event leaflet english-letterseze (1
Adobe Acrobat Document [7.5 MB]
Download

http://www.save-children-from-radiation.org/2013/03/07/world-network-leaflet-for-the-coming-events/

March 7, 2013 Posted by | Uncategorized | Leave a comment

New York Symposium will hear the story of radiation contaminated US Navy men

text ionisingThe Story of Two Contaminated Navy Navigators,Fukushima and the Health Effects of Low Dose Radiation MARCH 06, 2013http://www.counterpunch.org/2013/03/06/fukushima-and-the-health-effects-of-low-dose-radiation/ by JOHN LaFORGE   March 11 and 12, the Helen Caldicott Foundation is convening a symposium at the New York Academy of Medicine in New York City, “The Medical and Ecological Consequences of the Fukushima Nuclear Accident.”

Media attention may be brought to the gathering because of two US Navy navigators who will speak about their radioactive contamination while aboard the air craft carrier USS Reagan. They weren’t exposed by working around the carriers’ two Westinghouse propulsion reactors.

Navigators Maruice Enis, from Rochester, Minnesota, and Jamie Plym, from St. Agustine, Florida, were contaminated when Tokyo Electric Power Company reactors released unprecedented amounts of radiation to the air and the sea following the Great East Japan Earthquake and tsunami beginning March 11, 2011. Four of Tepco’s six Fukushima-Daiichi reactors were wrecked. Continue reading

March 7, 2013 Posted by | incidents, Japan | Leave a comment

High tadiation levels prevent workers from entering Fukushima nuclear reactors

FukushimaInside Fukushima two years on: radiation levels too high to enter reactorsTelegraph UK, 6 March 13, Two years on from the second-worst nuclear disaster in history, The Telegraph’s Julian Ryall visits the Fukushima nuclear plant to see what progress – if any – is being made. By Julian Ryall, Fukushima Nuclear Plant, Japan

  Radiation levels within three of the reactor buildings at the Fukushima Nuclear plant in Japan are still too high for people to start decommissioning the reactors, two years on from the second-worst nuclear disaster in history.

Scientists still do not have a firm understanding of the precise conditions of the reactor cores in three of the six units at the Fukushima Daiichi plant, and are resorting to using remote-controlled vehicles to get inside the tangle of wires, pipes and rubbles that has lain untouched since the tsunami tore through the facility. Continue reading

March 7, 2013 Posted by | Fukushima 2013 | 1 Comment

USA, UK, France will not admit the growing radioactive pollution of Iraq, due to depleted uranium weapons

du_roundsThe health effects are disputed by the US and UK governments, who joined with France and Israel to vote against a resolution calling for “a precautionary approach” to the use of DU weapons at the United Nations general assembly in December; 155 countries voted in favour of the resolution.

Iraq’s depleted uranium clean-up to cost $30m as contamination spreads  guardian.co.uk,  6 March 2013 Report says toxic waste is being spread by scrap metal dealers, and describes its ‘alarming’ use in civilian areas during Iraq wars Cleaning up more than 300 sites in Iraq still contaminated by depleted uranium (DU) weapons will cost at least $30m, according to a report by a Dutch peace group to be published on Thursday.

The report, which was funded by the Norwegian Ministry of Foreign Affairs, warns that the contamination is being spread by poorly regulated scrap metal dealers, including children. It also documents evidence that DU munitions were fired at light vehicles, buildings and other civilian infrastructure including the Iraqi Ministry of Planning in Baghdad – casting doubt on official assurances that only armoured vehicles were targeted. “The use of DU in populated areas is alarming,” it says, adding that many more contaminated sites are likely to be discovered.

More than 400 tonnes of DU ammunition are estimated to have been fired by jets and tanks in the two Iraq wars in 1991 and 2003, the vast majority by US forces. The UK government says that British forces fired less than three tonnes.

DU is a chemically toxic and radioactive heavy metal produced as wasteby the nuclear power industry. It is used in weapons because it is an extremely hard material capable of piercing armour. Continue reading

March 7, 2013 Posted by | Iraq, politics international, weapons and war | Leave a comment