nuclear-news

The News That Matters about the Nuclear Industry

Senator Ben Pangelinan helping Pacific nuclear test victims

The program would make those suffering from illnesses resulting from radiation exposure eligible for compensation and medical care. “Guam did receive measurable fallout from atmospheric testing of nuclear weapons in the Pacific.

Pacific radiation survivors to hold meeting SundayPacific Daily News • news@guampdn.com • October 15, 2010 The Pacific Association for Radiation Survivors, a nonprofit organization, will be holding its general membership meeting from 2 to 4 p.m. Sunday at the Tamuning Senior Citizens Center.

The members of the group lobby Congress to include Guam in the Radiation Exposure Compensation Act Program, a press release from Sen. Ben Pangelinan’s office stated. The program would make those suffering from illnesses resulting from radiation exposure eligible for compensation and medical care.

“Guam did receive measurable fallout from atmospheric testing of nuclear weapons in the Pacific. Residents of Guam during that period should be eligible for compensation under RECA in a way similar to persons considered to be “downwinders,” the release stated, citing research presented to the National Academy of Science and National Research Council. Pangelinan is seeking re-election…… Pacific radiation survivors to hold meeting Sunday | guampdn.com | Pacific Daily News

Advertisements

October 15, 2010 - Posted by | indigenous issues, OCEANIA, USA mid term elections 2010 | , , , , , ,

16 Comments »

1. I WAS A 1962 JOHNSTON ISLAND PARTICIPANT. I
    WAS AT GROUND ZERO AND EXPOSED TO HIGH LEVELS
    OF RADIATION FOR WHICH I GOT CANCER. I HAVE
    NOT BEEN COMPENSATED UNDER THE DOE/EEOICPA
    ACT BECAUSE I DID NOT WORK FOR DOE. I WAS
    DENIED. I RECEIVED UNEQUAL COMPENSATION FROM
    DOJ (RECA) BUT AT A MUCH LESSER AMOUNT THAN
    DOE (EEOICPA). NO MEDICAL AND LESS THAN HALF
    THAT OF DOE. PLEASE SUPPORT HR 5119/S3224.

Comment by TERRY R SCHEIDT | January 6, 2011 | Reply

2. Do our representatives really care? Why
    have both HR5119/S3224 both died in committee. Our government does not live up
    to responsibility. They cause us harm than
    ignore us as if we do not exist. Aloha.

Comment by terry scheidt | April 23, 2011 | Reply

3. I am a 1962 ground zero victim of the Johnston Island PPG. Senators Pangelinan,
    Udalls and Rep Lujan have done nothing. All
    legislation died in committee. They turned
    their backs on us again. Shame.

Comment by terry scheidt | April 26, 2011 | Reply

4. Aloha again,

IT IS NOW JUNE 2012 AND ABSOLUTELY NOTHING HAS BEEN ACCOMPLISHED
    REGARDING THE RECA/EEOCIPA AMENDMENTS TO PROVIDE FAIR/EQUAL
    COMPENSATION AS THE DOE VICTIMS GOT. BEEN 5 YEARS AND STILL WAITING
    FOR RECOGNITION. BEN YOU AND YOUR COUNTER PARTS ARE FAILING.
    I AM 75 AND WILL “DIE WAITING”, SAD AS IT IS CONGRESS ACTUALLY
    COMPENSATED NON-AMERICAN FILIPINOS FOR WWII PARTICIPATION BUT
    L;OYAL AMERICANS ARE DISCARDED. ALOHA
    terry scheidt/6-2012

Comment by TERRY | June 25, 2012 | Reply

5. Aloha,

Was advised by my sitting Senator, Daniel Akaka to apply for compensation under
    DEFENSE BASE ACT which required all employers to provide insurance for off-shore
    defense workers. I applied with DOL, OWCP but it has been a year w/o success.
    Seems no government agency in our country cares, they only use. will keep trying
    and let you know.

TERRYRS

Comment by TERRY SCHEIDT | December 25, 2012 | Reply

6. Aloha,

Well it is now 2013 and still no equality or recognition from the EEOICPA/RECA ACTS.
    Still die in committee. Obama says he “GOT OUR BACKS” but has never responded to
    the plight of the radiation victims. He wasn’t born when most were exposed and he has
    no idea what our country caused. I wonder to what cause do our good intentioned
    politicians, could it be only to garner votes??? DO THEY REALLY CARE????

Comment by terry scheidt | January 12, 2013 | Reply

7. Aloha,

Terry again. Well it is now May 2013 and still no recognition for radiation victims
    that were exposed to radiation. Our government will compensate foreign nationals
    but deny loyal Americans. Senator Udall just played golf with President Obama and
    I wonder if he brought up the issue of fair and equal compensation. For your interest
    Obama does know of radiation victims as he was a sitting Senator during the EEOICPA
    hearings and even testified. Did you know that victims of radiation in the Marshall Islands
    received 11,000 for their injuries and can no longer live in their place of birth due to
    radiation contamination. The Udall’s, Lujan’s etals you wonder to what end they submit
    amendment legislation, for what purpose?

Take care and I will keep updating.

Comment by Terry Scheidt | May 10, 2013 | Reply

8. Aloha,

Terry again. Did you know that Senator Orin Hatch of Utah authored the RECA ACT. He acknowledges
    the inequity of the ACT and stated he would pursue amendment legislation to provide equal compensation
    as the energy workers get under EEOICPA. It has been 23 years and still no adjustment. Senator
    Tom Udall each year has submitted amendment legislation which dies in commiettee each year.
    To what end do we wait. 23 years and waiting, you probably now understand that this may be a ploy
    to get votes. Senator Mazie Hirono of Hawaii now sits on the Judiiary Committee that oversees this
    legislation, will she support it?

Take care and I will keep updating. TERRY SCHEIDT

Comment by Terry Scheidt | June 2, 2013 | Reply

9. Aloha Terry here again,

Nothing new to report regarding our country recognizing those they harmed.
    Senator Orrin Hatch who authored the RECA ACT recognized the inequity
    and disparity of EEOICPA and claimed he would not rest until equity is achieved.
    I told the Senator we are still waiting but It seems he now has cold feet and
    he proclaimed he needs more scientific information before he further pursues
    his promise. HOW MUCH EVIDENCE DOES HE NEED?

The same Senators introduce amendment legislation but it always dies in
    committee (Judiciary Committee). I wrote many sitting Senators as well
    as the Chair, they do not respond.

If I learn anything I will update you. Take care, keep living.

Comment by Terry Scheidt | December 13, 2013 | Reply

10. Aloha,

It is now 01/2014 (24 years) since RECA was enacted. We are still waiting for justice.
    Our country denied, deceived, has no integrity or values by denying victims of radiation
    they caused. The justice system denied and dismissed most litigation cases claiming
    the Congress had to enact better laws to address radiation. They claimed radiation does
    not cause cancer, of course we know better in the PACIFIC, Micronesia, Guam, Johnston
    Island and many other location. The unfortunate thing is 70 years have passed and many
    have already died which is our countries hope. There are to few addressing the problem
    to their delegates therefore they will not act. The latest I heard is there might be additional
    compensation but no medical assistance. My Hawaii Senator Brian Schatz finally responded
    to our plight but the other 3 have not. Senator Hirono sits on the Judiciary Committee which
    oversees the amendment legislation but she never responds, sadly she was born near
    the last nuclear fiasco in FUKUSHIMA and should know the consequence. I am 100 percent
    sure there will be many victims of FUKUSHIMA and it appears the Japanese government
    is dragging their feet.

Aloha and take care. TERRY SCHEIDT

Comment by Terry Scheidt | January 12, 2014 | Reply

11. Aloha, Well it now 2015, I have a new Senator and Representative and neither one including the existing reps have
    done anything to provide equal and fair assistance that Energy workers received. The lastest news I received was that our nation considers victims as to expensive. We will die waiting!!!!

Comment by TERRYRS | February 18, 2015 | Reply

12. March 2017, still waiting for equity. No medical and much less in compensation, why disparity when we served
    equally. 79 and served 33 years for America. Senator Schatz never responds. I guess we will die waiting for
    equity.

Comment by Terry R Scheidt | March 21, 2017 | Reply

13. It is now May 2017, yes Terry is still alive and still seeking equity, HA.
    Our delegates never heard such a word, denial is more like it. I will
    advocate for loyalty till I die. Hard to believe our nation does things
    I thought only others did.

I was a range rat, many friends on Midway, Eniwetok, Wake,
    French Frigate Shoals, Christmas, Johnston, Jarvis, Canton
    damn so many.

The times were frightful but quite exciting.

Comment by Terry R Scheidt | May 13, 2017 | Reply

• Thank you very much, Terry, for keeping us up to date on what is, or rather, isn’t happening. Can’t help wondering if the authorities are just waiting for all these victims to die out, before they decide that they really should have taken care of them, after all, – (but bad luck!)

Comment by Christina MacPherson | May 13, 2017 | Reply

14. Aloha,
    Terry here, I just wrote President Trump, new blood. He replied that
    he addressed the issue with the appropriate department, hum!
    Can you believe it ha been 12 years. The EEOICPA ACT states
    workers exposed but DOL injected Energy workers, get it, exclusion.
    Not expecting much, got no help from Obama. I have this feeling
    I was the only one exposed, was I?

Comment by Terry R Scheidt | June 27, 2017 | Reply

15. July 2017, Left behind. Terry is still here and I am after Trump
    to use His Executive Authority to change the EEOICPA ACT to
    provide for all victims. Clinton did i and so can Trump! Will he.
    Doubt it he has not replied to many, many emails.

Comment by Terry R Scheidt | July 19, 2017 | Reply