The climate is a common good, belonging to all and meant for all.
What kind of world do we want to leave to those who come after us, to children who are now growing up?
It is time to acknowledge that light- hearted superficiality has done us no good.
We need to be alert to one sad sign of the “globalization of indifference”: the fact that we are gradually growing accustomed to the suffering of others, as if it were something normal
We are confronted with a choice which cannot be ignored: either to improve or to destroy the environment. – Pope Francis
As I write, the Paris Climate Change Summit COP21 gets underway. There is one important message about COP21 – IT’S A START – NOT A CONCLUSION. UNICEF reports that the greatest harm from climate change will be to children. Impetus for action should come from COP21, but corporations are geared up to undermine climate agreements.
Melbourne kicked off the global wave of rallies with a huge climate march.
Pope and Muslim leaders in call for climate action.
Declaration of the World Nuclear Victims Forum in Hiroshima.
The unmentioned apocalyptic ISIS terror – attack on nuclear reactors. Nor do world leaders talk about the terrorism possibility regarding nuclear weapons. Increasing risk of sabotage by extremists working in the nuclear industry.
EUROPE. European Commission in-depth investigation into Hungarian investment support for Paks II nuclear power.
INDONESIA‘s fires – enormous output of greenhouse emissions.
USA Dead nuclear reactors still leave an intractable wastes problem. USA’s nuclear operators want to extend reactor lives to 80 years! New York Opposes Big Easy Nuclear Relicensing Near New York City. USA anxious about nuclear proliferation, but keen to market nuclear technology to South Korea.
RUSSIA now plans to store nuclear wastes on Arctic islands ! Russia’s plan for a Nuclear-Powered Data Centre. Russia keen to market nuclear power to impoverished Cambodia. Sale of nuclear reactors to Egypt entails big debt to Russia.
UK govt allout for nuclear power, discriminates against solar in tax system. Londan Mayor Boris Johnson scathing about £18bn cost of Hinkley nuclear plan. Hackers could shut down UK’s £31 billion nuclear weapon system – warns defence expert.
CHINA Did China dump nuclear trash in Northern Sudan?
SAFETY ISSUES. Despite airplane bombing , and Egypt’s lax security, Russia to provide nuclear reactors to Egypt! Indonesia will block its waters to nuclear waste ship travelling to Australia. Japan ramps up its evacuation rules for nuclear ship accidents.
NUCLEAR LOBBY CLIMATE SPIN “The Third Way” – front group for new nuclear spinning hard for Paris Climate Conference. “NuclearMatters” lobby group revs up its spin ahead of Paris climate conference. Nuclear lobby predominates at Wisconsin public hearing.
US NRC Proposes 100% Cancer Rate; Ignores Taxpayer Funded BEIR Report; Ignores ICRP; Ignores New Study of US, UK and French Nuclear Workers. 17 year delay before USA govt even starts cleanup of Hanford radioactive waste.
Europe’s nuclear companies face multi $billion burden in disposing of dead nuclear reactors.
UK’s Hunterston nuclear reactor has cracks in bricks at core.
AFRICA. Report from Nuclearisation of Africa Symposium highlights harmful effects of uranium mining.
RENEWABLE ENERGY Investment Bank Lazar finds wind and solar beat coal and nuclear on costs.
CLIMATE CHANGE. Obama Administration enables nuclear industry to pitch itself as climate change solution. Nuclear lobby hoping to be part of Paris Climate Talks. Christiana Figueres: a climate action force to be reckoned with.
NUCLEAR WEAPONS. Oh goody! America has a more ‘usable’ bombin Europe! Russia leaks ‘Secret’ Plans For Nuclear Weapons. USA trying to persuade Pakistan to constrain its nuclear weapons program. $493 billion invested in nuclear weapons by banks, insurance companies and pension funds. Narrowly avoided accidental nuclear apocalypse in 1983 revealed. Jeremy Corbyn has got it rightabout Trident nuclear missiles.
RUSSIA. Russia’s militarisation of the Arctic, and the danger of itsmini nuclear reactors.
JAPAN. Radiation effects from Fukushima have been chronically underestimated.
USA. US EPA Supports No Safe Dose of Radiation; Objects to NRC Proposal of 100 mSv per Year: Comment Deadline 19 Nov. 11.59 PM. Cover-up of radiation hazard at children’s holiday camp in Southern California. Not much real help to nuclear lobby from White House. USA’s Nuclear Regulatory Commission considering 80 year licenses for nuclear reactors!. Legal case over St Louis radioactive trash – 2700 cancer cases from nuclear radiation?
UK. Miscarriages and Congenital Conditions in Offspring of Veterans of the British Nuclear Atmospheric Test Programme. Chromosome Translocations in Nuclear Test Veterans. What is going to happen toDana Durnsford, The nuclear proctologist?
PRISM (Power Reactor Innovative Small Module) and MOX much touted, but nuclear waste burial is best.
CANADA Canadians near nuclear power stations given iodine pills.
FINLAND‘s underground nuclear waste storage plan approved.
Is nuclear fusion a goer? Not really
Down, down, down goes the price of uranium.
- Fire erupts within feet of USA radioactive trash dump. Nevada Radioactive Waste Dump Fire: 47 Pounds of Plutonium Buried at the Beatty “Low Level” Waste Site; Foreshadow of Things to Come Due to Continued Burial of Radioactive Waste in N. America and Europe
- St Louis residents demanding answers on underground fire near nuclear waste.
- Campaign is launched against dangerous nuclear waste transport.
- All too many failures in nuclear power pipelines.
- NRC allows nuclear companies to use decommissioning funds for waste storage, violating rules.
- Federal authorities cancel shipment of high level radioactive trash to Idaho.
- Is Petition for Increasing Public Exposure to Radiation a USNRC Inside Job? Retired NRC Counsel: Carol Marcus Wrote Another Petition at the Request of NRC Staff.
- Renewable energy – 60% of new USA electricity capacity.
- USA environmental groups demand changes to Trans Pacific Partnership.
Bikini Islanders – first expelled by nuclear tests. now by climate change, want to migrate to USA.
UK. Significant Hurdles Remain for Franco-Chinese Nuclear Reactors in Britain
CHINA far from being nuclear industry hope, could be its nightmare.
JAPAN. No foreseeable end to Fukushima’s daily dumping of radioactive waste to Pacific Ocean. Japan keen to sell nuclear reactors to Kazakhstan. Japanese Prefecture Kyoto moves to replace nuclear with gas and renewables, in pact with Alaska.
RUSSIA. Bellona joins other anti nuclear non profit groups – no longer NGO, harassed by Russian govt.
BRAZIL. Corruption and mismanagement stall Brazil’s nuclear programme.
SOUTH AFRICA. South Africa’s Flawed Environmental Assessments for New Nuclear Build.
GERMANY.Germany’s Renewable Energy Generated Almost Double The Amount From Nuclear.
UAE. United Arab Emirates called upon to lead in regional nuclear disarmament.
INDONESIA. This Could Be the Worst Climate Crisis in the World Right Now
Nuclear Worker Study Affirms that Low Doses of Radiation are Deadly: Increased Cancer Risk Much Worse Than Previously Believed.
Vatican insists that United Nations must work for nuclear disarmament.
CLIMATE CHANGE “Too Furious For Human Intervention” — Climate Feedbacks Spur Out of Control Wildfires From Indonesia to Brazil. Rich countries put planet on course for irreversible climate change. Climate change is going to cost even more than was predicted. Exxon’s campaign to spread doubt on the science of climate change. Political oblivion for ‘climate villains’ – Canada’s PM Harper, Australia’s PM Abbott.
JAPAN Many radiation related cancers to come, as Japan confirms Fukushima worker’s radiation caused cancer.Thyroid Cancer in Fukushima Children: 2011 to 2014. Fukushima insect study shows there is no safe low level of ionising radiation.
- “Hormesis” Advocates Dodge Scientific Rigor with “Special Pleadings” – Ties to Tobacco Industry & Koch Brother Exposed by CHP Emeritus: November 19th Comment Deadline Looms.
- Radiation and cancer: to USA’s NRC it’s PR not science, that counts.
- Residents of St Louis County get cancer from long-term exposure to low level radiation. Decades of bungling over radioactive landfill in St Louis County.
- Radioactive material keeps getting stolen from Los Alamos National Laboratory.
- Media blackout on US sailors made ill by Fukushima radiation.
- New York nuclear stations can’t afford costly shutdowns – so delay decommissioning.
- Precious Groundwater in Drought Areas Threatened by Uranium Mining.
UK. Sell EDF shares, because of Hinkley nuclear costs – says leading broker. Sheer folly of UK government’s super costly nuclear deal with China, while cutting renewable energy. UK nuclear deal is a golden handout to China. Solar and storage could supply as much electricity to UK, as nuclear, at half the subsidy cost. Britain’s cost for new nuclear could buy 6 times the amount of wind energy.
Pakistan refuses to limit tactical nuclear weapons.
Israel. Iran nuclear deal endorsed by Israel’s Nuclear Advisory Panel.
Russia Dissolves Non-Profit Groups Working for Transparency on Nuclear and Environmental Issues.
Spain. 50 years later, USA will clean up site of nuclear bombs’ crash in Spain.
Try as I may, I can’t seem to make this weekly news roundup shorter. I don’t expect that people will read it all, or go to all links. However, just the 3 top links here are very much worth reading. They deal with the subject of ionising radiation. On October 7 Dr Helen Caldicott is speaking at Sydney Universityon this subject. Meanwhile the global nuclear lobby is intensifying its propaganda lie that ionising radiation is harmless.
- Three Nobel Prize winners calculated the genetic damage of nuclear energy.
- Biological Consequences of Nuclear Disasters: From Chernobyl to Fukushima.
- Film ‘The Martian” gets it really wrong about ionising radiation.
CLIMATE CHANGE. Narrow window of opportunity to prevent rapid drastic fall in Antarctic ice sheets.
- ‘New Nuclear” lobby wants to weaken USA’s safety regulations.
- USA’s nuclear industry staggers to its tomb, as Pilgrim Station shuts down. Financial facts were the killer. Closure of Pilgrim nuclear station opens a new era of costly, dangerous, radioactive trash clean-up.
- Threat of out of control fire to radioactive trash site. Is the Missouri Landfill Fire a US Chernobyl or Fukushima in the Making?
- Burial of radioactive trash at San Onofre? NOT a good idea.
- The fight to preserve pure water in Nebraska from uranium mining contamination.
- Move for Grand Canyon Monument that would ban uranium mining.
- Dramatic fall in price of solar electricity.
UK. Together Against Sizewell C (TASC) plan legal action against Hinkley nuclear power project. Britain fawns over Xi Jinping – preparatory to China taking over UK’s nuclear industry . Security concern over China’s involvement in UK’s nuclear project Overwhelming costs of Britain’s Trident nuclear submarines – cannot be measured. How UK govt helped the nuclear industry hide the truth on the Fukushima catastrophe.
FRANCE. Nuclear energy falls from France’s pride and joy, to its expensive source of woe.
SWEDEN shutting down 2 nuclear reactors.
JAPAN. No evacuation plan, yet PM Abe restarts another Sendai nuclear reactor. Second nuclear reactor started at Sendai, despite public opposition. Anxious about 2020 Olympics, Tepco to hasten ice wall project at Fukushima nuclear station.
SOUTH KOREA. Expansion of South Korea’s massive Kori Nuclear Power Plant near 3.4 million people – an insane plan.
INDIA. Record low price for solar power to be sold by Indian Government.
CHINA keen to market nuclear technology overseas.
KENYA. Remote Kenya will be connected to grid with Africa’s larges wind farm.
Cyber security danger to nuclear stations.
Wikileaks released text of Trans Pacific Partnership – worrying sections about freedom of information.
CLIMATE CHANGE. International Monetary Fund chief Christine Lagarde says now is the time for carbon tax.
European regulators approve nuclear waste plan – all too generous to the operators.
UK. Scotland’s Labour MPs join new labour leader Jeremy Corbyn, in supporting nuclear disarmament. Britain’s national embarrassment – the failing Hinkley nuclear white elephant. Nuclear power building – UK’s worry of China’s poor health and safety record. Serious questions about China’s involvement in Britain’s new nuclear power projects. Rating agencies warn EDF of downgrade, if they continue with Hinkley nuclear station plan.
JAPAN. Fukushima. Surge in thyroid cancers in Fukushima. Radiation danger forces delay to inspection of Fukushima Unit 2 Containment. Critical problem of Fukushima nuclear reactor No2 – where is molten core? Nuclear contamination case against TEPCO is sent by police to prosecutors. Chilling Fukushima photos by Arkadiusz Podniesinski.
- Bill Gates to export ‘new nuclear’ reactors to China, where the safety regulations are slacker.
- Examining Nuclear Regulatory Commission’s deceptive article about ending the cancer research.
- San Onofre site to get “concrete monolith” for high level radioactive trash – spent nuclear fuel. Secret deals to fleece ratepayers over costs of closing the San Onofre nuclear plant.
- Duke Energy very doubtful about new nuclear stations.
- Republican politicians trying to remove Wisconsin’s ban on new nuclear power stations.
- Fake parts sold for nuclear submarines.
SOUTH KOREA. Increasing public opposition to South Korean govt’s nuclear power policy.
SOUTH AFRICA. Impossible to fund South Africa’s nuclear power plan.
INDIA. A nuclear power plant project is stalled.
Don’t fall for nuclear industry propaganda about radiation “hormesis” !
CLIMATE CHANGE. Still possible to contain climate change: Paris UN conference will be critical. Pope Francis’ US visit has triggered awareness of climate change as a moral issue. Bank of England warns on climate change’s threat to global stability. Coming refugee crisis as sea levels rise on Pacific Islands.
JAPAN. Afraid about radiation, but afraid to speak out: Fukushima mothers. Japan’s coastal population: risks from radiation ignored by govt and IAEA. Death of heroic anti war photographer Kikujiro Fukushima. Fukushima’s Unitno.5 nuclear reactor was gravely endangered, IAEA finally admits. ‘Japanese govt creates illusion of normality at Fukushima’
GERMANY. Massive Protest Planned Against New Atomic Weapons In Germany.
- Labour leader Jeremy Corbyn opposes renewal of Trident nuclear weapons programme.
- PICAT – A Public Interest Case Against Trident, co-ordinated by Trident Ploughshares.
- Dr Ian Fairlea sets out the grim facts on costs at the end of the nuclear power chain.
- British media needs to wake up to the national scandal of the Hinkley nuclear project.
- British nuclear submarine stricken with technical problems off coast of Iran.
- Shetland Islands Council endorses Mayors for Peace call for nuclear weapons free world.
- Tick of approval for NRC’s decision to Restore Public Access to Information.
- Former Los Alamos worker counters the disinformation from the nuclear lobby .
- Storage of radioactive debris on beach near San Onofre nuclear facility!
- NBC4 investigates cover-up of Southern California nuclear disaster.
- Medical and Media Manipulation by Boeing, in cover-up of USA Nuclear Disaster.
- Nuclear lobby keen to ‘educate’ public.
- USA nuclear fans trivialise effects of nuclear bombing.
SWEDEN European court upholds Sweden’s right to tax nuclear power stations.
SOUTH AFRICA ‘s Treasury kept its nuclear work secret.
The deck chairs at the Titanic Paris Climate Talks in December include a chair for EDF the giant French nuclear company, which is a sponsor of the conference. Meanwhile in UK, the Thorium Nuclear lobby has got itself charity status. The global nuclear lobby is working hard to win the world to its new, though yet non-existent, technologies. It is using 3 main lies:
LIE 1 “new nuclear solves the wastes problem”. For September www.antinuclear.net and www.nuclear-news.net have focused on that particular lie. LIE 2. “Low dose ionising radiation is harmless, even good for you” – a focus for October. LIE 3. “nuclear solves climate change” – the focus for November.
- The real reason the Nuclear Regulatory Commission cancelled its cancer research.
- How the USA govt covered up a nuclear meltdown, and radiation pollution in Southern California.
- Pentagon Preparing War Plans for Baltic Battle Against Russia.
- Privatisation of USA’s nuclear arsenal – wasteful, inefficient, irresponsible.
- South Carolina to review law that allows nuclear utilities to charge rate-payers in advance.
- Salem nuclear plant cooling-water affecting the Delaware River.
- Pilgrim nuclear plant just too costly to keep running.
IndependentWHO: Our demands to World Health Organisation.
Arab Bid to Monitor Israel’s Nuclear Sites Rejected at UN Atomic Agency.
MEDIA. Fukushima Sensationalism and Hoaxes
CLIMATE Climate change at a ‘turning point’ – could now move faster. Climate Risks from Nuclear Power. Radioactive Krypton 85: Atmospheric-Electrical and Air-Chemical Effects of Ionizing Radiation in the Atmosphere.
RENEWABLE ENERGY Renewable energy race – 5 developing countries fast ditching fossil fuels. 100% renewable energy achieved in city of Columbia, Maryland. Colorado city Aspen achieves 100% renewable energy. 500 MW Renewable Energy Plan for Alabama.
JAPAN ignores post Fukushima nuclear safety guidelines JAPAN lifts evacuation orders on irradiated towns in preparation for 2020 Summer Olympics. Call by former Prime Minister Koizumi for a national anti nuclear movement. Unspoken Death Toll of Fukushima: Nuclear Disaster Killing Japanese Slowly.
Fukushima Typhoon Etau flooded Fukushima Daiichi. Strontium-90 density rose up 155 percent of the previous highest reading in the seaside of Reactor 2. 395 bags of tainted material washed away in floods. Tepco started discharging contaminated groundwater beside crippled reactor buildings. 850 tons of ‘decontaminated’ Fukushima water dumped into ocean. Another Fukushima worker died / No media coverage. Solar farms in Fukushima.
FRANCE.French govt uses amendment to impose nuclear waste dump without parliament vote
UK. Bloomberg Finance gives 5 good reasons not to build Hinkley nuclear station. Lib Dem Leader Tim Farron Calls for Independent Investigation into Environmental Damage from Nuclear Industries. Britain’s nuclear plans: the Corbyn factor. U.S. Nuclear Missile Submarine Surfaces in Scotland. Is UK’s ‘white elephant’ nuclear power programme linked to nuclear weapons programme?
USA. Nuclear Regulatory Commission might back quack pro nuclear ‘science’ on ionising radiation! Entergy’s FitzPatrick Nuclear Reactor next to bite the dust? Resentencing of USA’s nun who broke into nuclear weapons complex. Robert F. Kennedy, Jr.’s scathing attack on the Koch brothers and corporate greed How Charles Koch Prevents Clean Energy Businesses From Succeeding. Last bid to kill Iran nuclear deal blocked in Senate. Former Republican presidential candidate Michele Bachmann wants USA to bomb Iran.
NORWAY Norway, Russia sign deal on nuclear accidents.
SOUTH AFRICA fires key nuclear negotiator
NORTH KOREA Experts guessing about meaning of North Korea’s renewed nuclear threat.
INDIA. India: Dumping of Radioactive Water Imperils Mumbai; 9 Nuclear Scientists “Commit Suicide”
IRAN. How world health will benefit from Iran nuclear deal.
AUSTRALIA. Gets rid of worst ever Prime Minister, Tony Abbott, but govt nuclear and climate policies unchanged
SBS TV showed “The Sugar Conspiracy” on 6th Sept. This documentary revealed the tactics of the International Sugar Association, in PR over decades, showing that fructose (sugar) does not cause dental decay, diabetes, obesity, heart disease. They convinced health authorities, governments, media, by spending $billions on propaganda that just shed doubton medical facts about fructose.
Familiar story? the Tobacco corporations did the same thing – just shed doubt for decades, on the facts in cigarette smoking and lung cancer. The Asbestos companies did it for decades about mesothelioma. The Fossil Fuel companies successfully shed doubt on the science about global warming.
The Sugar documentary just reminded me that all the Nuclear lobby needs to do, is to shed doubt on the science about ionising radiation. Just delay the truth – and keep on with the business!
Well – I digress, but I enjoyed it!
“Everything I was Dreaming of is Gone” — How Climate Change is Spurring a Global Refugee Crisis to Rapidly Worsen.
CSRP 2015 – The Fifth Citizen-Scientist International Symposium on Radiation Protection
International conferences in Hiroshima: call for disarmament measures isweakened by USA, Britain and Canada.
Nuclear lobby’s wishful thinking about Small Modular (SMR) and Generation IV reactors.
‘Climate Change Fix” chosen as 2015 theme by World Nuclear Association.
- Record rain overwhelming Fukushima’s nuclear station’s drainage pumps.
- Fukushima Daiichi drainage system enters operation.
- Scrutinising Japan’s government PR about The Reopening Of Nahara Fukushima.
- Japan’s Monju nuclear reprocessing reactor, plagued by safety errors, offline for most of 20 years.
- Significant setback to Japan’s #nuclear revival.
- In Japan’s hot summer, solar power ramped up its contribution to electricity.
KAZAKHSTAN’s disaster of dead animals near Semipalatinsk Nuclear Test Site.
FRANCE heading towards a nuclear industry phaseout?
USA. Outrageous decision of USA’s Nuclear Regulatory Commission (NRC)to cancel research on cancer-nuclear links. Nuclear Regulatory Commissionprevents hearing on Fermi nuclear plant. Nuclear Regulatory Commissionscraps public rulemaking on weak GE containments. St Louis suburb anger about radioactive landfill. Washington State sues US Energy Dept over Hanford workers made sick by toxic fumes.
UK. EDF admits Hinkley Point Nuclear Station won’t be ready by 2023.
CHINA. Anxieties in China over the safety of the nation’s nuclear power programme.
Three months until the Paris United Nations Climate Conference – November 30 to December 11
The cashed up nuclear lobby will be there promoting themselves as the world’s saviour from climate change, and pollution.
They will base this claim on 3 lies:
- that new nuclear power will solve the wastes problem
- that low dose ionising rdaiation is harmless, even healthy
- that nuclear power is essential to combat climate change
I would love it if people would join in examining and exposing those 3 lies.
For September the focus is on Lie No. 1
I see that the Nuclear Information and Resource Center has already a website for this: http://www.nirs.org/cop21/dontnuketheclimate.htm
Much as I hate Facebook, I have started a Facebook Page: https://www.facebook.com/pages/No-Nuclear-for-Paris-Climate-Action/1490419381255842 The more the merrier- perhaps.
Red Cross Red Crescent call for binding international agreement on nuclear disarmament.
OCEAN. Ken Buesseler, Jay Cullen, lead independent research into radiation in the Pacific Ocean
JAPAN Ex-Fukushima No. 1 worker sues Tepco over cancer. Despite Sendai restart, the outlook for Japan’s nuclear industry is poor. Miyagi residents physically block officials from surveying proposed nuke waste dump sites. Tochigi town residents rally against selection as candidate site for final disposal of radiation-tainted waste. How nuclear-free Japan made it through hottest summer yet without brownouts.
- IAEA’s Fukushima Report Dangerously Downplays Ongoing Health Risks: Greenpeace.
- Cs-134/137 density became the highest reading at 4 points inside and outside Fukushima plant port.
- Fukushima Staff to Start Pumping Radioactive Ground Water Away From Plant.
- Morphological defects found in Japanese fir trees around Fukushima nuclear plant.
USA. Key Democrat votes now ensure success in the Iran nuclear deal. USA’s Nuclear Regulatory Commission ignores Recommendation on Plans to Address a Core-Melt Accident. Radiation testing by govt in 4 Bay area cities in USA, by low flying drones. A splurge of spin for NuScale’s Small Modular Nuclear Reactors. USA’s super costly new bomb could ignite anew arms race. Significant levels of thorium 230, a radioactive isotope found in USA residential area. USA’s Department of Energy finds that Disposal of plutonium – burial is cheaper than MOX processing.
GERMANY. German govt to change nuclear liability law – to make utilities pay up for nuclear exit costs.
UKRAINE. Ukraine’s Neo Nazi unit The Azov Battalion is training child soldiers, and getting USA funding.
S KOREA. Radioactive trash mounting in South Korea, with no solution in sight.
S AFRICA. Exposed: confidential agreement gives Russia unfair control over South Africa’s #nuclear project.
UK. UK govt pre-empts Parliament on more money for Trident nuclear weapons. Yet more delay for New Hinkley Point nuclear power station. UK under pressure to buy nuclear reactors – from GE/Hitachi, Westinghouse/Toshiba and Areva/Mitsubishi.
USA. Leaked review tells of ‘Significant Design Vulnerabilities’ at Hanford radioactive trash site. Disposal of nuclear waste turning out to be half the cost of reprocessing with MOX fuel. Escalating costs, expanding timelines, cast doubt on the future of modular nuclear construction. Lockheed Martin used government nuclear money to lobby for more government nuclear money. St Louis suburb contaminated by radioactive thorium. New measures to promote rooftop solar, by President Obama.
JAPAN. The Japanese Scientists’ Association joins strong public opinion against nuclear power. Sendai nuclear plant operator set to plug leaks in 5 cooling system pipes. Tepco bid to restart Kashiwazaki-Kariwa nuclear plant stymied by governor.
- Oshidori Mako Interviews Experts Regarding Excess Occurrence of Pediatric Thyroid Cancer in Fukushima. (very long, but very thorough)
- Persistence of radioactive caesium in ocean floor near Fukushima Daiichi.
- Fukushima operator’s mounting legal woes to fuel nuclear opposition.
- Nuclear disaster evacuees promised 2017 return but ‘ineffective’ clear-up may take 200 years.
TAIWAN. Taipei prosecutors lose legal case against anti nuclear protestors.
WORLD. Ionising radiation:
- Concerted Uranium Research Europe (CURE) to conduct independent research on ionising radiation.
- International Research Team studies Fukushima contaminants in seafloor sediments.
- Nuclear bomb testing has resulted in radioactive polonium in seafoods.
- Unusual Pro nuclear search for making ionising radiation look good.
Iran nuclear agreement is endorsed by Nuclear Nonproliferation Experts. Over 300 US rabbis urge Congress to support Iran nuclear deal. Obama can still do the Iran nuclear deal, despite Congress opposition. Iran has compliedon key condition of the nuclear deal – submitting documents to IAEA.
CLIMATE CHANGE. Islamic leaders call on the world’s 1.6 billion Muslims to embrace climate change action. Dangerous Heat Sets Sights on Southern United States.
CHINA. Tianjin explosion highlights need to prioritise environment over economic growth. China censors Internet on Tianjin explosion news. France worried that China’s hasty nuclear power programme is unsafe.
JAPAN. Japanese environment groups protest against Restart of Sendai Nuclear Power. Volcano alert issued just miles from newly reopened nuclear reactor. Japan nuclear utility says no special precautions over volcano. Utilities spent ¥1.4 trillion last year to maintain idled reactors. Japan’s Plutonium Problem.
Fukushima. Extra high radiation level in atmosphere above Melted slag storage facility of Fukushima sewage plant. Fukushima operator’s mounting legal woes. Earthquake M5.0 offshore of Fukushima prefecture.
USA. Momentum growing in campaign to shut down Diablo Canyon Nuclear Plant. Questions on safety, and silencing of critics – HUMBOLDT BAY POWER PLANT. America feared that Israel would deploy nuclear weapons.
UK. Bristol Nuclear Protestors Fined...instead…shouldn’t they be awarded Medals?!
SOUTH AFRICA. African National Congress calls for transparency on nuclear tender process.
UNITED ARAB EMIRATES. Tax-payer money going to nuclear related companies in UAE.
NORTH KOREA. Concern over North Korea’s uranium enrichment.
NORWAY‘s dangerous plan to dump nuclear trash on island
AUSTRALIA: Nuclear stooge Senator Bob Day not able to dismantle Australia’s law against establishing nuclear facilities.
- 1 NUCLEAR ISSUES
- business and costs
- climate change
- indigenous issues
- marketing of nuclear
- opposition to nuclear
- politics international
- Religion and ethics
- secrets,lies and civil liberties
- weapons and war
- 2 WORLD
- MIDDLE EAST
- NORTH AMERICA
- SOUTH AMERICA
- Christina's notes
- Christina's themes
- RARE EARTHS
- resources – print
- Resources -audiovicual